ANN: eGenix mxODBC 3.2.0 - Python ODBC Database Interface

Discussion in 'Python' started by eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, Aug 28, 2012.

  1. ________________________________________________________________________

    ANNOUNCING

    eGenix.com mxODBC

    Python ODBC Database Interface

    Version 3.2.0

    mxODBC is our commercially supported Python extension providing
    ODBC database connectivity to Python applications
    on Windows, Mac OS X, Unix and BSD platforms

    This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
    http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-mxODBC-3.2.0-GA.html

    INTRODUCTION

    mxODBC provides an easy-to-use, high-performance, reliable and robust
    Python interface to ODBC compatible databases such as MS SQL Server,
    MS Access, Oracle Database, IBM DB2 and Informix , Sybase ASE and
    Sybase Anywhere, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP MaxDB and many more:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

    The "eGenix mxODBC - Python ODBC Database Interface" product is a
    commercial extension to our open-source eGenix mx Base Distribution:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/

    NEWS

    The 3.2.0 release of our mxODBC is a new release of our popular Python
    ODBC Interface for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and FreeBSD.

    New Features in 3.2
    -------------------

    * Switched to unixODBC 2.3.1+ API: mxODBC is now compiled against
    unixODBC 2.3.1, which finally removes the problems with the ABI
    change between 2.2 and 2.3 by switching to a new library version
    (libodbc.so.2).

    * mxODBC connection objects can now be used as context managers to
    implicitly commit/rollback transactions.

    * mxODBC cursor objects can now be used as context managers to
    implicitly close the cursor when leaving the block (regardless of
    whether an exception was raised or not)

    * mxODBC added support for adjustable .paramstyles. Both 'qmark'
    (default) and 'named' styles are supported and can be set on
    connections and cursors. The 'named' style allows easier porting of
    e.g. Oracle native interface code to mxODBC.

    * mxODBC now supports a writable connection.autocommit attribute to
    easily turn on/off the connection's auto commit mode.

    * mxODBC added support for adjustable TIMESTAMP precision via the new
    connection/cursor.timestampresolution attribute.

    * mxODBC will round to nearest nanosecond fraction instead of
    truncating the value. This will result in fewer conversion errors
    due to floating point second values.

    * mxODBC's connect APIs Connect() and DriverConnect() support setting
    connection options prior to connecting to the database via a new
    connection_options parameter. This allows enabling e.g. the MARS
    feature in SQL Server Native Client.

    * The connection.cursor() constructor now has a new cursor_options
    parameters which allows configuring the cursor with a set of cursor
    options.

    * The .scroll() method supports far more ODBC drivers than before.

    * Updated the SQL lookup object to include more ODBC SQL parameter
    codes, including special ones for SQL Server and IBM DB2.

    * mx.ODBC.Manager will now prefer unixODBC over iODBC. Previous
    mxODBC releases used the order iODBC, unixODBC, DataDirect when
    looking for a suitable ODBC manager on Unix platforms. unixODBC is
    more widely supported nowadays and provides better Unicode support
    than iODBC.

    For the full set of features mxODBC has to offer, please see:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#Features

    Driver Compatibility Enhancements
    ---------------------------------

    * Added work-around for Oracle Instance Client to prevent use of
    direct execution. cursor.executedirect() will still work, but won't
    actually use direct execution with the Oracle driver.

    * Added work-around for Oracle Instant Client to prevent segfaults in
    the driver when querying the cursor.rowcount or cursor.rownumber.

    * Added check to make sure that Python type binding mode is not used
    with Oracle Instance Client as this can cause segfaults with the
    driver and generally doesn't work.

    * Added a work-around to have the IBM DB2 driver return correct
    .rowcount values.

    * Improved Sybase ASE driver compatibility: this only supports Python
    type binding, which is now enabled per default.

    * Added work-around for PostgreSQL driver, which doesn't support
    scrollable cursors.

    * Add support for MS SQL Server ODBC Driver 1.0 for Linux to mxODBC

    * Improved compatibility of the mxODBC native Unicode string format
    handling with Unix ODBC drivers when running UCS4 builds of Python.

    * mxODBC 3.2 now always uses direct execution with the FreeTDS ODBC
    driver. This results in better compatibility with SQL Server and
    faster execution across the board.

    * Add work-around to have FreeTDS work with 64-bit integers outside
    the 32-bit signed integer range.

    * FreeTDS' .rowcount attribute gave misleading values for
    SELECTs. This now always returns -1 (until they hopefully fix the
    driver to return usable data).

    For the full set of changes please check the mxODBC change log:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/changelog.html

    mxODBC Editions
    ---------------

    mxODBC is available in these three editions:

    * The low-cost Standard Edition which provides data connectivity to a
    single database type, e.g. just MS SQL Server.

    * The Professional Edition, which gives full access to all mxODBC
    features.

    * The Product Development Edition, which allows including mxODBC in
    applications you develop.

    Compared to mxODBC 3.0, we have simplified our license terms to
    clarify the situation on multi-core and virtual machines. In most
    cases, you no longer need to purchase more than one license per
    processor or virtual machine, scaling down the overall license costs
    significantly compared to earlier mxODBC releases.

    For a complete overview of the new editions, please see the product page.

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#mxODBCEditions

    DOWNLOADS

    The download archives and instructions for installing the package can
    be found at:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/

    In order to use the eGenix mxODBC package you will first need to
    install the eGenix mx Base package:

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxBase/

    UPGRADING

    Users are encouraged to upgrade to this latest mxODBC release to
    benefit from the new features and updated ODBC driver support.

    We have taken special care, not to introduce backwards incompatible
    changes, making the upgrade experience as smooth as possible.

    For upgrade purchases, we will give out 20% discount coupons going
    from mxODBC 2.x to 3.2 and 50% coupons for upgrades from mxODBC 3.x to
    3.2. After upgrade, use of the original license from which you
    upgraded is no longer permitted.

    Please contact the eGenix.com Sales Team at with your
    existing license serials for details for an upgrade discount coupon.

    If you want to try the new release before purchace, you can request
    30-day evaluation licenses by visiting our web-site

    http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxODBC/#Evaluation

    or by writing to , stating your name (or the name of
    the company) and the number of eval licenses that you need.

    SUPPORT

    Commercial support for this product is available from eGenix.com.
    Please see

    http://www.egenix.com/services/support/

    for details about our support offerings.

    INFORMATION

    About Python (http://www.python.org/):

    Python is an object-oriented Open Source programming language
    which runs on all modern platforms. By integrating ease-of-use,
    clarity in coding, enterprise application connectivity and rapid
    application design, Python establishes an ideal programming
    platform for today's IT challenges.

    About eGenix (http://www.egenix.com/):

    eGenix is a software project, consulting and product company
    focusing on expert services and professional quality products for
    companies, Python users and developers.

    Enjoy,
    --
    Marc-Andre Lemburg
    eGenix.com

    Professional Python Services directly from the Source (#1, Aug 28 2012)

    2012-10-23: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ... 56 days to go
    2012-08-20: Released mxODBC.Connect 2.0.0 ... http://egenix.com/go30

    http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/

    eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg, Aug 28, 2012