difficult security problem

Jim Corey

My intranet web app is set up with Windows authentication and IIS is set
to disallow anonymous access.

The app includes a main.aspx where everything happens, and includes
Response.Expires = 0
Response.Cache.SetNoStore()
Response.AppendHeader("Pragma", "no-cache")
in the page_load routine.

The app works fine on single test machines here, but in one instance I
have it in a web farm configuration controlled by an F5 switch.

Occasionally when I point to the F5 setup I will be in the app and get
prompted for a network login.

I've (finally) been able to reproduce this consistently by
refreshing the page.
What I see in the log is that typically my ip address and domain name/id
precedes a POST request.
After a refresh, only the ip address precedes the POST, and here,
evidently, security kicks in and the (unwanted) network dialog box pops
up.

Any comments welcome.

TIA,
Jim