Dim String doesn't work

Plateriot

I hit something very strange in my development.
Any Dim strMyString as string produces "nothing" in debug mode.

for example

Dim strSQL as string = "select * from tbl_Quality"

produces "nothing" when I hover over the strSQL variable in debug mode.

It may be unrelated, but I noticed that my copy and paste are really strange
as well.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause initialization of variables to
stop working (particularly, just string variables) on a computer?

Tried it on another computer and it runs fine.
But even after restart on my computer, it will not initialize the string
variable.

Even string variables from my older programs have stopped working.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.