Direct experience of text manipulation in Perl/TCL?

Selwyn Leeke

As a little project, I'm trying to investigate the differences between
TCL and Perl(something never before attempted), especially in terms of
their text manipulation capabilities.

Having used a lot more Perl, I was previously under the impression
that Perl was a lot better for text manipulation, but looking at the
commands available, it seems that TCL actually has more core
functionality. Since this discovery, however, Ive been told that
Perl's text manipulation is much easier to use than TCL's.

Does anyone have any direct experience with any "heavy-duty" text
manipulation in either Perl or TCL? I would be interested to hear
some opinions on how easy each is, and maybe hear from some people who
have used both and can give me a direct comparison...

Thanks-
-Selwyn

James Willmore

On 11 Sep 2003 06:13:36 -0700
As a little project, I'm trying to investigate the differences
between TCL and Perl(something never before attempted), especially
in terms of their text manipulation capabilities.

Having used a lot more Perl, I was previously under the impression
that Perl was a lot better for text manipulation, but looking at the
commands available, it seems that TCL actually has more core
functionality. Since this discovery, however, Ive been told that
Perl's text manipulation is much easier to use than TCL's.

Does anyone have any direct experience with any "heavy-duty" text
manipulation in either Perl or TCL? I would be interested to hear
some opinions on how easy each is, and maybe hear from some people
who have used both and can give me a direct comparison...

There's a thread already started this week (Perl vs TCL) - see my
comments.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Veni, Vidi, Visa.

Helgi Briem

Processing text in Perl is a pain. It lacks decent parsing tools
(yeah, there's perl6 vaporware...), all it has is a slightly beefed
up sed. Man, I could tell you about the times I couldn't do
something simple in Perl, and had to use a gazillion badly
documented, buggy modules to get it done.

Abigail

You're an evil, evil person, Abigail.