Perl vs TCL

Selwyn Leeke

Hi,

I'm thinking about writing a script in either Perl or TCL, but before
I start, I thought it would be a good idea to find out how they
compare to each other, so I can decide which is best for me.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions of TCL or Perl's Maths
functionality? Do you need to install extra modules to make it useful?

What about text manipulation? Is Perl better than TCL? Are there any
modules that improve on the core distribution?

Thanks in advance -
Selwyn

PS. Just out of interest... A lot of modules for perl seem to be
ported from TCL (tk, for example) - are there any that have gone the
other way?

Matija Papec

Abigail said:
][ modules that improve on the core distribution?

TCL is far, far better in al aspects. That's why every Unix vendor
supplies TCL, and have you let install Perl yourself.

Furthermore, TCL programmers are in high demand. Noone ever hires a
Perl programmer.

][ Thanks in advance -
][ Selwyn
][
][ PS. Just out of interest... A lot of modules for perl seem to be
][ ported from TCL (tk, for example) - are there any that have gone the
][ other way?

No. Almost anything found on CPAN or the Perl standard library was
borrowed, copied or stolen from TCL. The Perl communitie doesn't
create anything itself, so no porting to TCL was ever done.

Very, very cruel, I must say. :)

James Willmore

On 9 Sep 2003 05:56:24 -0700
I'm thinking about writing a script in either Perl or TCL, but
before I start, I thought it would be a good idea to find out how
they compare to each other, so I can decide which is best for me.

Does anyone have any experience/opinions of TCL or Perl's Maths
functionality? Do you need to install extra modules to make it
useful?

What about text manipulation? Is Perl better than TCL? Are there any
modules that improve on the core distribution?

Thanks in advance -
Selwyn

PS. Just out of interest... A lot of modules for perl seem to be
ported from TCL (tk, for example) - are there any that have gone the
other way?

<sigh>
I could compare COBOL with Perl, BASIC with Perl, C++ with Perl, etc.,
etc

Each language has its strengths and its weaknesses.

My advise is ... learn both, then create an application in both.
Which ever you feel most comfortable with, use.

This type of question has been asked and answered many times. Try
Google. The result is always the same - "my language is better than
your language" threads that take up bandwidth.

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
Mark's Dental-Chair Discovery: Dentists are incapable of asking
questions that require a simple yes or no answer.

James Willmore

What are Befunge's strengths? ;-)

Well, I had to Google for this one. And after I did, I can now say I
stand corrected. I got a headache after one example.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
You worry too much about your job. Stop it. You're not paid
enough to worry.