Directory Web Site

worthingtonclinton

Was hoping to get some tips or advice on scripting a program that would sort through my many links on my directory website and print out to me the ones that are broken or no longer functioning so that I could fix or remove them from the site. Any help, ideas, advice will be greatly appreciated.

Joel Goldstick

Was hoping to get some tips or advice on scripting a program that would
sort through my many links on my directory website and print out to me the
ones that are broken or no longer functioning so that I could fix or remove
them from the site. Any help, ideas, advice will be greatly appreciated.

This is a python list. is this python related? what have you tried? Do
you know about beautiful soup or requests? they can help you I think. You
really need to provide more information for any useful help here

Dave Angel

Was hoping to get some tips or advice on scripting a program that would sort through my many links on my directory website and print out to me the ones that are broken or no longer functioning so that I could fix or remove them from the site. Any help, ideas, advice will be greatly appreciated.

Since it's your own website, the best answer is probably to process the
source to that site. Was it written by a python script?

Otherwise, if the site is reasonably correct (as most are not), then
Beautiful Soup is probably the place to start.

--

Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com

I'm trying to create a Python script that will search through the url linkson my directory website and using a logic statement like, if: (how ever i would establish in python that the url is not broken) then return, elsif: (link is broken) then: print '%s is broken.' (%s being the name of the link).. I want the program to perform this on all the links so that I can easily see which links are useless on my website so my page doesn't wind up functionally being difficult and clouded with broken links like every other crappy directory.

worthingtonclinton

Since it's your own website, the best answer is probably to process the

source to that site. Was it written by a python script?

Otherwise, if the site is reasonably correct (as most are not), then

Beautiful Soup is probably the place to start.

Web page is in HTML created using Dreamweaver.

Chris Angelico

Was hoping to get some tips or advice on scripting a program that would sort through my many links on my directory website and print out to me the ones that are broken or no longer functioning so that I could fix or remove them from the site. Any help, ideas, advice will be greatly appreciated.

The easiest solution is probably a non-Python tool like wget. Search
the web for "link checker" or "href verifier" or words to that effect,
see what you find. This is an extremely common task, and I don't think
you need to write any code for it.

ChrisA