disable ctrl-P in idle?

timw.google

Is there a way to disable ctrl-P (print window) in IDLE? I'm editing
some python code in IDLE and I keep hitting this by mistake from my
years of emacs editing.

Thanks in advance.

Robert Singer

Is there a way to disable ctrl-P (print window) in IDLE? I'm editing
some python code in IDLE and I keep hitting this by mistake from my
years of emacs editing.

Thanks in advance.

Try autohotkey and map it to something else. Like, nothing :)

Internally, I don't think so, it's part of CUI.

-- Bob

Robert Singer

Try autohotkey and map it to something else. Like, nothing :)

Internally, I don't think so, it's part of CUI.

-- Bob

.... continue:
Or, you can just continue using emacs. I'm using vim, and can't think
of a single reason why I should change it for idle.

-- Bob

timw.google

... continue:
Or, you can just continue using emacs. I'm using vim, and can't think
of a single reason why I should change it for idle.

-- Bob

Thanks. I on a XP box now, and it's a pain to get things installed
here. That's why I'm not using emacs. When I'm on Linux, I use emacs.
It's not worth the trouble to install something else for just this.

drobinow

Thanks. I on a XP box now, and it's a pain to get things installed
here. That's why I'm not using emacs. When I'm on Linux, I use emacs.
It's not worth the trouble to install something else for just this.

It is not more difficult to install emacs on XP. What makes you think
that?

Jorgen Grahn

It is not more difficult to install emacs on XP. What makes you think
that?

Yeah. To me, it has just been a matter of unzipping emacs-x.y.z.zip
somewhere, placing my .emacs somewhere where emacs searches for it,
tell it to use the Lucida Console font and type away. As far as I can
tell, there is no need to be local admin.

(Of course, timw's employer might forbid Downloading Dangerous
Unlicenced Freeware from the Internet -- but be got IDLE somehow,
didn't he?)

/Jorgen

Robert Singer

Thanks. I on a XP box now, and it's a pain to get things installed
here. That's why I'm not using emacs. When I'm on Linux, I use emacs.
It's not worth the trouble to install something else for just this.

Actually, it's not necessary to install it. It's just unzip&start
program. You'll figure out how to do the mapping in no time (one
line). After that compile the script (autohotkey) to an exe file, and
you can delete the rest of the stuff.
Just start the exe file, before starting idle.

But, as I can see, RichardT solved the problem already :)
(yeah, I could've puted this at the beggining of the post, and saved
you the trouble of reading the rest :)

-- Bob

drobinow

In Idle, select 'Configure IDLE..' from the options menu.

In the Options dialog, select the Keys tab.

Scroll down to the 'print-window' entry and select it.

Click the "Get New Keys For Selection" button.

Select the new key combination e.g. Shift+Ctrl+p and click OK button.

If you have not enter any custom keys before, you will get a prompt
for a Custom Key Set Name - enter a name and click OK.

For the archive, since our hero prefers not to receive credit.
Ctrl+P should no longer send the window to the printer. On my system
(python 2.5.1 on XP) it now moves the cursor up a line for some reason
(deafult binding for the widget?)

Cursor up is the default emacs binding for Ctrl+P so this will
probably please the original poster (and me too!)

timw.google

It is not more difficult to install emacs on XP. What makes you think
that?

It's not that it's technically difficult. It's just a hassle to
involve the help desk.

timw.google

For the archive, since our hero prefers not to receive credit.

Cursor up is the default emacs binding for Ctrl+P so this will
probably please the original poster (and me too!)

Wonderful!!!!! I remapped ctrl-N too while I was at it. Thanks!!!!

(and no help desk involvement either!)