    would be great too.

    Thanks,

    Paul

    Paolo, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Paolo wrote:

    > I've written a driver which accesses a database like system. I'd like
    > to enable the driver so that it can participate in a distributed
    > transaction, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the complexity of the JTA
    > specification. Are there any resources out there that aid in
    > implementing this type of transactional driver? I don't think that
    > I'll be running my code in any sort of application server. So, if
    > anyone can point me to information about how the application server is
    > involved in the process of executing a distributed transaction, that
    > would be great too.

    I don't know any additional resources other than the main XA spec
    (http://www.opengroup.org/public/pubs/catalog/c193.htm).

    You do know that you only need to implement the XAResource interface
    (javax.transaction.xa.XAResource) for XA support in the resource adapter/manager, right?
    Of course this is not easy. Oracle is not compliant with JTA (see the current thread --
    "Oracle JDBC XA question"), and I don't believe MS/SqlServer is either. MySQL doesn't
    even support it.

    The JTA spec does provide information on the requirements and actions of the application
    server in distributed transactions. BTW, one of those requirements is to interface with
    the Transaction Manager. You might consider running under a container to let it handle
    those aspects.

    --
    Lee Fesperman, FFE Software, Inc. (http://www.firstsql.com)
    * The Ultimate DBMS is here!