Distributed Transaction Driver

Paolo

I've written a driver which accesses a database like system. I'd like
to enable the driver so that it can participate in a distributed
transaction, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the complexity of the JTA
specification. Are there any resources out there that aid in
implementing this type of transactional driver? I don't think that
I'll be running my code in any sort of application server. So, if
anyone can point me to information about how the application server is
involved in the process of executing a distributed transaction, that
would be great too.

Thanks,

Paul

Lee Fesperman

Paolo said:
I've written a driver which accesses a database like system. I'd like
to enable the driver so that it can participate in a distributed
transaction, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the complexity of the JTA
specification. Are there any resources out there that aid in
implementing this type of transactional driver? I don't think that
I'll be running my code in any sort of application server. So, if
anyone can point me to information about how the application server is
involved in the process of executing a distributed transaction, that
would be great too.

I don't know any additional resources other than the main XA spec
(http://www.opengroup.org/public/pubs/catalog/c193.htm).

You do know that you only need to implement the XAResource interface
(javax.transaction.xa.XAResource) for XA support in the resource adapter/manager, right?
Of course this is not easy. Oracle is not compliant with JTA (see the current thread --
"Oracle JDBC XA question"), and I don't believe MS/SqlServer is either. MySQL doesn't
even support it.

The JTA spec does provide information on the requirements and actions of the application
server in distributed transactions. BTW, one of those requirements is to interface with
the Transaction Manager. You might consider running under a container to let it handle
those aspects.