    to.

    http://www.chilkatsoft.com/

    Les
    Leslie Viljoen, Sep 19, 2006

  2. In message
    <>, Leslie
    Viljoen <> writes
    >There was some discussion in the past here about how to distribute
    >Ruby programs in a way that their source code is not visible to
    >people. Today I saw that a company called Chilkat is doing something
    >like this. I have not checked out the details, but someone might want
    >to.
    >
    >http://www.chilkatsoft.com/

    I couldn't find anything on the homepage or products page that matches a
    simple text search for "Ruby".

    Stephen
    --
    Stephen Kellett
    Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html
    Stephen Kellett, Sep 19, 2006

  3. Stephen Kellett wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Leslie
    > Viljoen <> writes
    >>There was some discussion in the past here about how to distribute
    >>Ruby programs in a way that their source code is not visible to
    >>people. Today I saw that a company called Chilkat is doing something
    >>like this. I have not checked out the details, but someone might want
    >>to.
    >>
    >>http://www.chilkatsoft.com/

    > I couldn't find anything on the homepage or products page that matches a
    > simple text search for "Ruby".
    >
    > Stephen

    L H column -> Downloads

    (maybe it is so new they haven't updated the website yet?)

    David Roberts, Sep 20, 2006
  4. Leslie Viljoen

    MonkeeSage Guest

    More importantly...why would you want to distribute obfuscated ruby
    apps? If it is able to be sent (finally) to the parser / interpreter,
    then it can be broken by a hacker. The first condition is a requisite
    (else the code would never run). So why go to the trouble? Why not just
    license your code under a specific license that denies all reusability?
    If you feel that you really must obfuscate, try these links:

    http://www.rubyinside.com/px-a-quick-and-silly-ruby-obfuscation-system-7.html
    http://blog.segment7.net/articles/2006/03/21/obfuscator-update

    Regards,
    Jordan
    MonkeeSage, Sep 20, 2006
  5. They are not really providing Ruby code, but writing their code in C
    and providing a binary compiled into a DLL that Ruby can load. I am no
    fan of closed source but this provides an option if someone wanted to
    sell components useable from Ruby.

    The components *do* also provide something useful I think, if you
    can't write your own and need a solution right now. I'm pleased people
    are thinking about Ruby support for such things while we wait for an
    open source version.

    Les
    Leslie Viljoen, Sep 20, 2006