Distributing OWC11

JohnFol

I have an ASP.Net page that creates an instance of an OWC chart object. Once
created I use the .ExportPicture method to give me the image. I then use the
file as the ImageURL of an Image control. So far, all this works in Dev.

The key thing is the chart is not interactive on the client, mearly a server
side method for generating the image.

I am able to deploy the web pages to the server using a deployment project,
but have had no success in deploying the components necessary for deploying
the chart object and the associated support files.

Having searched without sucess for a step by step to deploying OWC, I am
hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Any help / guidence appreciated.

JohnFol

Of course. That's really why I added the comment:

"The key thing is the chart is not interactive on the client, mearly a
server side method for generating the image"

The acutal solution is to present graphical data in the form of an image.
This is to stop the underlying data from being copied or manipulated. To
produce the graphic I point the imagecontrol to a .JPG file that just
happens to be created by the IIS box. For an example of this,. have a look
at http://www.nasdaq.com/

The home page has several images that look like graphs, but are generated on
the server (possibly using OWC or similar) and then rendered in the browser
as an image.

I am therefore sure I don't need a licence on each and every client as it's
just a .jpg on web page. Happy to have a user licence (if that is what's
required) for the server, but still need to know how to add the iles to the
server deployment.

Alvin Bruney said:
OWC interactivity requires a license, not a project install.
I've probed licensing extensively in the black book if you care to find
the exact reasons. While what you are trying to achieve is technically
very easy, understanding why you are doing it is not. Put another way, you
wouldn't want Microsoft taking you to court for licensing violations
right?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon.com etc
JohnFol said:
I have an ASP.Net page that creates an instance of an OWC chart object.
Once created I use the .ExportPicture method to give me the image. I then
use the file as the ImageURL of an Image control. So far, all this works
in Dev.

The key thing is the chart is not interactive on the client, mearly a
server side method for generating the image.

I am able to deploy the web pages to the server using a deployment
project, but have had no success in deploying the components necessary
for deploying the chart object and the associated support files.

Having searched without sucess for a step by step to deploying OWC, I am
hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Any help / guidence appreciated.

JohnFol

Alvin, it certainly does help!

Many thanks (and appologies for the slow acknowledgement)

Alvin Bruney said:
ok, i think i see what you are after. you just need the owc dll on the
server. you can manually copy the owc11 dll and register it at the command
line using regsvr32 owc11.dll. and that's it. Again, i am assuming that
you just want to stream the image to the client where there will be no
interactivity. In this case, installation of the component on the server
fully satisifies licensing requirement.

There really isn't any way to stop the underlying data from being copied
or manipulated since it runs on the client. For instance, i can do a print
screen, capture the image and manipulate the image as i see fit. However,
because the code that produces the image runs on the server, it is safe
from manipulation (for the most part).

hope this helps