    with Python must be distributed with, or an alternative link, to the
    source of the program.

    Is this true?

    Jason, Oct 2, 2005

  2. Jason

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    Jason wrote:
    > A non-python programming friend of mine has said that any programs made
    > with Python must be distributed with, or an alternative link, to the
    > source of the program.
    >
    > Is this true?

    Sorta, but not really. Typically, you might distribute the source (.py)
    files, but if you don't want to do that, you can distribute the
    compiled .pyc files instead. Python creates these files automatically
    when your modules are imported.

    Jeff Schwab, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Jeff Schwab wrote:
    > Sorta, but not really. Typically, you might distribute the source (.py)
    > files, but if you don't want to do that, you can distribute the
    > compiled .pyc files instead. Python creates these files automatically
    > when your modules are imported.

    But remember that Python bytecode can be easily decompiled with a
    publicly-available program.

    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    >But remember that Python bytecode can be easily decompiled with a
    >publicly-available program.

    I hope it is not considered too antisocial to bring it up here, but
    there is always PyObfuscate:

    http://www.lysator.liu.se/~astrand/projects/pyobfuscate/

    -Steve Bergman

    Steve Bergman, Oct 2, 2005
  5. >A non-python programming friend of mine has said that any programs made
    >with Python must be distributed with, or an alternative link, to the
    >source of the program.

    Yes, and you must also include a blank sheet, signed by you in blood.

    Seriously, whatever the license of Python itself is, a program you
    have *written in Python* (which Iassume you are referring to) is
    completely yours.

    Wouter van Ooijen

    -- ------------------------------------
    http://www.voti.nl
    Webshop for PICs and other electronics
    http://www.voti.nl/hvu
    Teacher electronics and informatics

    Wouter van Ooijen, Oct 2, 2005
  6. Wouter van Ooijen (www.voti.nl) wrote:

    >Yes, and you must also include a blank sheet, signed by you in blood.

    I thought you only had to do that if you were submitting a patch to
    MySQL, Qt, OpenOffice, or OpenSolaris. ;-)

    -Steve Bergman

    Steve Bergman, Oct 2, 2005
  7. Jason

    Magnus Lycka Guest

    Jason wrote:
    > A non-python programming friend of mine has said that any programs made
    > with Python must be distributed with, or an alternative link, to the
    > source of the program.
    >
    > Is this true?

    There seems to be some confusion regarding what you are asking.

    Are you asking about legal issues of about technical issues?
    Perhaps your friend is confused about these issues.

    There are no licence problems with Python. It doesn't use
    anything like GPL. You do what you like with your code.

    Technically, Python code is compiled into bytecode (like Java)
    but in contrast with typical Java apps, it's common that
    Python code is delivered as source. As someone else mentioned,
    python modules are automatically compiled the first time they
    are imported, and the compiled modules will be used directly
    the next time, unless you change the source code (Python looks
    at file modification times).

    Typically, it seems professional programmers developing commercial
    software with Python worry little about their sourcecode being
    accessible. Source code is protected by copyright after all, and
    hiding source code doesn't prevent people from stealing software
    anyway.

    For some strange reason, it seems that it's almost always complete
    beginners that express their worries that someone will steal their
    valuable intellectual property if they distribute source, and that
    somehow strikes me as unlikely.

    Magnus Lycka, Oct 4, 2005