    'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
    be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

    Appreciate any response.
    bender, Oct 19, 2003

  2. bender

    brucie Guest

    In post <3f926750$>
    bender said...

    > Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm
    >
    > How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
    > 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
    > be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.
    >
    > Appreciate any response.

    a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
    another.
    b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.

    i recommend a rethink on the design.

    --
    brucie.
    19/October/2003 08:34:25 pm
    brucie, Oct 19, 2003

  3. bender

    bender Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In post <3f926750$>
    > bender said...
    >
    > > Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm
    > >
    > > How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
    > > 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to

    always
    > > be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.
    > >
    > > Appreciate any response.

    > a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
    > another.
    > b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.
    >
    > i recommend a rethink on the design.
    >
    > --
    > brucie.
    > 19/October/2003 08:34:25 pm

    Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
    guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
    What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?

    I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.
    bender, Oct 19, 2003
  4. bender

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    bender said...

    >> a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
    >> another.
    >> b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.

    > Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
    > guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?

    no, you can use as much optional goodies as you like but relying on it
    for critical functions is stupid.

    > What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?

    they do have the advantage of being instantly recognizable and always
    work. at least use them as an alternative to whatever type of nav you
    decide upon.

    --
    brucie.
    19/October/2003 09:12:43 pm
    brucie, Oct 19, 2003
  5. bender

    Kris Guest

    In article <>, "bender" <> wrote:

    > > a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
    > > another.
    > > b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.
    > >
    > > i recommend a rethink on the design.
    > >
    > > --
    > > brucie.
    > > 19/October/2003 08:34:25 pm

    > Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
    > guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
    > What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?
    >
    > I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.

    For a demonstration of what brucie tells you:
    <http://www.joukedevries.nl/>

    I personally believe that I executed the dropdown nicely; it degrades
    nicely when CSS or JS are not available (also note the two-step
    navigation, enabling you to click the main link and go deeper on the
    resulting page), but it is just terrible to use.

    It clearly needed more though, but that would become disproportional to
    the time spend on the project. We did it anyway though. The lesson is
    the most valuable we got out of it.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Kris wrote:

    >> I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to
    >> use.

    > For a demonstration of what brucie tells you:
    > <http://www.joukedevries.nl/>

    Ouch. Move the mouse to click the "Videoclips" link, and a menu
    (unexpectedly) appears on top of it. So you then have to move the mouse
    away from the menu to make it go away, and then approach the link from a
    different direction.

    I'm not at all a far of things appearing in response to mouse movement.
    (Appearing in response to clicks - maybe. Changing in response to mouse
    movement - oh yes. But not appearing from mouse movement)

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 19, 2003
  7. bender

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > > a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
    > > another.
    > > b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.
    > > i recommend a rethink on the design.

    > Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
    > guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
    > What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?
    > I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.

    Using things like Javascript and flash will stop a small percentage of
    people from seeing your site the way you want them to. But at the same
    time it can be the reason people come to your site too. It is a two way
    street.

    Go to sites that do the same thing you do, What are they using?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Oct 19, 2003
  8. bender

    bender Guest

    "bender" <> wrote in message news:3f926750$...
    > Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm
    >
    > How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
    > 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
    > be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.
    >
    > Appreciate any response.

    Can anyone actually answer my question ?
    bender, Oct 19, 2003
  9. bender wrote:

    > Can anyone actually answer my question ?

    It took you less then two hours to start nagging the group. Try remembering
    these two things:

    1. We aren't being paid to help you
    2. Patience is a virtue

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 19, 2003
  10. bender

    bender Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > bender wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone actually answer my question ?

    > It took you less then two hours to start nagging the group. Try

    remembering
    > these two things:
    >
    > 1. We aren't being paid to help you
    > 2. Patience is a virtue
    >
    > --
    > David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    I just thought the thread was focusing on the wrong issue. I apologize if my
    above comments came of as me demanding an answer . Fully agree with your two
    above points.
    bender, Oct 19, 2003
  11. bender

    brucie Guest

    In post <bmu118$l5k$1$>
    David Dorward said...

    > 1. We aren't being paid to help you

    true but the sex more than makes up for it

    --
    brucie.
    19/October/2003 11:31:31 pm
    brucie, Oct 19, 2003
  12. bender

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I just thought the thread was focusing on the wrong issue. I apologize if my
    > above comments came of as me demanding an answer . Fully agree with your two
    > above points.

    The thread was taking a very important direction that you obviously did
    not think about. That is the percentage of the visitors that may not be
    able to see your site.

    So while some of the messages are not directly telling you how to do
    what you want to, it was pointing out an important decision you will
    have to make. The result of this decision will decide if you would use
    the menu or not.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Oct 19, 2003
  13. bender

    Richard Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > In post <3f926750$>
    > bender said...

    >> Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm

    >> How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their
    >> menu.
    >> 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to
    >> always
    >> be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

    >> Appreciate any response.

    > a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
    > another.

    What's your source of this information?
    Perhaps something more like 2-5% don't have it turned on, but not no 15%.
    Most people don't know how to turn it off.

    > b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.

    Why?

    Richard, Oct 19, 2003
  14. bender

    Richard Guest

    bender wrote:

    > Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm

    > How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their
    > menu.
    > 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to
    > always
    > be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

    > Appreciate any response.

    www.dynamicdrive.com
    Take a look at some of their menus they have and use their codes.
    Try the HVmenu thing. It's similar to what you want to do.
    www.acehtml.com
    Get the ace editor, it has a variety of javascript menus built into it.
    Richard, Oct 19, 2003
  15. Toby A Inkster, Oct 19, 2003
  16. Richard pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > brucie wrote:
    > > a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
    > > another.

    > What's your source of this information?
    > Perhaps something more like 2-5% don't have it turned on, but not no 15%.
    > Most people don't know how to turn it off.

    Scroll down to the JavaScript table.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 19, 2003
  17. bender

    bender Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message news:...
    > bender wrote:
    >
    > > Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm

    > > How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their
    > > menu.
    > > 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to
    > > always
    > > be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

    > > Appreciate any response.

    > www.dynamicdrive.com
    > Take a look at some of their menus they have and use their codes.
    > Try the HVmenu thing. It's similar to what you want to do.
    > www.acehtml.com
    > Get the ace editor, it has a variety of javascript menus built into it.

    Thanks for your reply.
    bender, Oct 19, 2003
  18. bender

    DU Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > brucie wrote:
    >
    > > In post <3f926750$>

    >>bender said...

    >>>Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm

    >>>How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their
    >>>menu.
    >>>'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to
    >>>always
    >>>be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

    >>>Appreciate any response.

    >>a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
    >>another.

    > What's your source of this information?
    > Perhaps something more like 2-5% don't have it turned on, but not no 15%.
    > Most people don't know how to turn it off.

    Browser news mentions 15% from TheCounter (May 2003):
    http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_design.htm#d02

    A minimal denominator among other various independent sources seems to
    be 12%.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs: