div layer

bender

Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm

How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

Appreciate any response.

brucie

Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm

How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

Appreciate any response.

a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
another.
b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.

i recommend a rethink on the design.

bender

brucie said:
a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
another.
b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.

i recommend a rethink on the design.

Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?

I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.

brucie

Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?

no, you can use as much optional goodies as you like but relying on it
for critical functions is stupid.
What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?

they do have the advantage of being instantly recognizable and always
work. at least use them as an alternative to whatever type of nav you
decide upon.

Kris

Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?

I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.

For a demonstration of what brucie tells you:
<http://www.joukedevries.nl/>

I personally believe that I executed the dropdown nicely; it degrades
nicely when CSS or JS are not available (also note the two-step
navigation, enabling you to click the main link and go deeper on the
resulting page), but it is just terrible to use.

It clearly needed more though, but that would become disproportional to
the time spend on the project. We did it anyway though. The lesson is
the most valuable we got out of it.

David Dorward

For a demonstration of what brucie tells you:
<http://www.joukedevries.nl/>

Ouch. Move the mouse to click the "Videoclips" link, and a menu
(unexpectedly) appears on top of it. So you then have to move the mouse
away from the menu to make it go away, and then approach the link from a
different direction.

I'm not at all a far of things appearing in response to mouse movement.
(Appearing in response to clicks - maybe. Changing in response to mouse
movement - oh yes. But not appearing from mouse movement)

Whitecrest

Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?
I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.

Using things like Javascript and flash will stop a small percentage of
people from seeing your site the way you want them to. But at the same
time it can be the reason people come to your site too. It is a two way
street.

Go to sites that do the same thing you do, What are they using?

bender

bender said:
Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm

How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

Appreciate any response.

Can anyone actually answer my question ?

David Dorward

bender said:
Can anyone actually answer my question ?

It took you less then two hours to start nagging the group. Try remembering
these two things:

1. We aren't being paid to help you
2. Patience is a virtue

bender

David Dorward said:
It took you less then two hours to start nagging the group. Try remembering
these two things:

1. We aren't being paid to help you
2. Patience is a virtue

I just thought the thread was focusing on the wrong issue. I apologize if my
above comments came of as me demanding an answer . Fully agree with your two
above points.

Whitecrest

I just thought the thread was focusing on the wrong issue. I apologize if my
above comments came of as me demanding an answer . Fully agree with your two
above points.

The thread was taking a very important direction that you obviously did
not think about. That is the percentage of the visitors that may not be
able to see your site.

So while some of the messages are not directly telling you how to do
what you want to, it was pointing out an important decision you will
have to make. The result of this decision will decide if you would use
the menu or not.

Richard

brucie said:
In post <[email protected]>
bender said...
a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
another.

What's your source of this information?
Perhaps something more like 2-5% don't have it turned on, but not no 15%.
Most people don't know how to turn it off.

b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.
Why?

bender said:
How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their
menu.
'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to
always
be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.
Appreciate any response.

www.dynamicdrive.com
Take a look at some of their menus they have and use their codes.
Try the HVmenu thing. It's similar to what you want to do.
www.acehtml.com
Get the ace editor, it has a variety of javascript menus built into it.

DU

Richard said:
What's your source of this information?
Perhaps something more like 2-5% don't have it turned on, but not no 15%.
Most people don't know how to turn it off.

Browser news mentions 15% from TheCounter (May 2003):
http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_design.htm#d02

A minimal denominator among other various independent sources seems to
be 12%.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs: