    If not, is there a place on the web that documents DHTML, well, in its
    latest greatest form?

    Steve

    Steve, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Steve wrote:
    > I have heard about a few very good books on DHTML,

    Have you? I have never heard of a book specifically about DHTML that
    would qualify as good let alone 'very good'. Things like example
    chapters made available on the Internet tend to suggest that they range
    from poor to catastrophically bad.

    > but the most modern ones seem to have been published
    > in 2002.

    So don't expect much coverage of Opera 7+, Safari or the recent
    Mozilla/Gecko releases. Though that would not matter much if they
    concentrated on the W3C DOM standards as they have not changed in the
    intervening years (but they will if Level 3 DOM becomes a
    recommendation).

    > Have any _significant_ changes in DHTML or the standard
    > DOM happened since then or will those "best of the dhtml
    > books" still do the job?

    No, but some very significant browsers have been released in the
    interim, and books have tended to be written in a very browser
    specific/limited way.

    > If not, is there a place on the web that documents DHTML,
    > well, in its latest greatest form?

    You would have to pin down what DHTML means, as it is not an official
    term anywhere. If you mean scripted interactions with an HTML browser
    DOM, combined with the interactive actions of CSS presentation then the
    W3C is the place to look for DOM and CSS standards and the ECMA is the
    place to look for the script language specification.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Apr 9, 2005