Do (USA) Python conferences require a coast?

Kyler Laird

In 2001 I attended the Python conference in Long Beach, CA. I
had just decided that Python was something I should use and the
conference provided me a (well-fitted) brainful of good insight.
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0019/img_0421.jpg/image_viewer

Now I use Python constantly. I'd like to get face-to-face with
Python experts so that I can better understand complex pieces
and discover new tools. I want to attend another conference.

It looks like PyCon
http://pycon.org/
is always in Washington, DC. I try to avoid DC.

Python10
http://www.python10.org/
is also essentially in DC (Alexandria, VA).

Even the Plone conference (New Orleans) was on a coast. Do
Python users always have to be "on edge"?

Does anyone consider hosting a Python conferences in cheaper/
safer/freer/more central locations? (Say...Indianapolis?) I
see that there are some Python intros in Longmont, Colorado.
http://www.python.org/community/events.html
That'd be a dandy location for a conference too. (It's been
awhile since I visited Estes Park.)

Thank you.

--kyler

Skip Montanaro

Kyler> Even the Plone conference (New Orleans) was on a coast. Do
Kyler> Python users always have to be "on edge"?

I'd vote for Chicago. Of course, technically speaking we're on a coast
also. It should be just about the easiest city to get to from anywhere in
the US though.

Skip

Brian

I'd vote for Chicago. Of course, technically speaking we're on a coast
also. It should be just about the easiest city to get to from anywhere in
the US though.

Given recent weather conditions, I'd think everyone would jump at the
idea of coming out here, to sunny Southern California for a
conference... (I missed the Long Beach conference, and D.C. is just
so far away...and much colder, brrr. :)

Aahz

It looks like PyCon
http://pycon.org/
is always in Washington, DC. I try to avoid DC.

It's kind of hard to say "always" about a conference that hasn't had its
second iteration yet. ;-)
Python10
http://www.python10.org/
is also essentially in DC (Alexandria, VA).

"Is"? That was two years ago. The "formal" Python conference is now
associated with OSCON, which does tend to be on the west coast.

There's absolutely no reason why someone couldn't organize a PyCon
somewhere other than D.C. -- that's specifically why it's called "DC
2004" and why we called the last one "DC 2003". However, it's not clear
how much of a market there is for additional PyCons; given that the
change to PyCon/OSCON is only a year old, and given that the economy
hasn't fully recovered, you might want to plan your event for sometime in
2005.

Dave Benjamin

It's kind of hard to say "always" about a conference that hasn't had its
second iteration yet. ;-)

Well, it does make it particularly hard to find a counterexample. ;)

How about Phoenix, Arizona? The only time we have a coast is if there's
enough money in it for lakefront real estate.

Effortlessly avoiding DC,
Dave