    run pages developed in ASP.NET.

    Can we also run the pages on Linux/Unix?

    Thanks, Tim

    Tim, Jul 31, 2008

  2. Tim

    Rory Becker Guest

    Hello tim,

    > I am wondering if we need to install DotNet framework on all the
    > machines to
    > run pages developed in ASP.NET.

    Yes you do

    > Can we also run the pages on Linux/Unix?

    DotNet on linux is unsupported by Microsoft (I think) but there is a project
    called Mono which exists to support a linux version of the .Net frameowrk.
    I do not know if they have ASP.Net in it though.

    --
    Rory

    Rory Becker, Jul 31, 2008

  3. If you mean client browser machines, they don't need to have the framework.
    ASP.NET ends up with producing standard html that can be consumed by any
    browser on any platform.

    --
    Eliyahu Goldin,
    Software Developer

    Eliyahu Goldin, Jul 31, 2008
  4. Tim asked...

    re:
    !> I am wondering if we need to install DotNet framework on all the machines to run pages developed in ASP.NET.

    You can view pages developed in ASP.NET in any browser.

    re:
    !> Can we also run the pages on Linux/Unix?

    You'll need mod_mono, an Apache module. More info/download link here :

    http://www.mono-project.com/ASP.NET

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 31, 2008
  5. You need the .NET framework on the IIS server only.
    Client PCs (browsers) do NOT need it and so linux/any O.S. users can see you
    pages.

    Evan Camilleri
    http://www.holisticrd.com
    http://www.DotNetMushroom.com