Do you know how aggressive the patent fighting between Xilinx andAltera is going?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Weng Tianxiang, Jun 16, 2009.

  1. Hi,
    Do you know how aggressive the patent fighting between Xilinx and
    Alters is going?

    I give you some tastes here. But I have to make a statement first: I
    don't have any internal personal relationships from neither companies
    and all information about the patent fighting is derived from the
    following patent I recently read:
    Patent number: 7,394, 287, "Programmable Logic Device Having Complex
    Logic Blocks with Improved Logic Cell Functionality" filed on May 21,
    2007, by Altera.

    Here is the patent website:
    http://www.google.com/patents/about...inm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=

    The patent contexts are all about Xilinx circuitry, but it was filed
    by Altera so that O5 and O6 must be in their current status: O5 and O6
    must share 5 inputs, eliminating the chance O6 can be figured with the
    6th input, an easy point to make for Xilinx. All inventions in the
    patent are trivial in its ideas, but important for Xilinx architecture
    to further improve its efficiency.

    What does it mean?

    It means Altera has occupied a strategic high point to prevent Xilinx
    from further improving its Virtex V cell structure without avoiding
    its patent violations. The working price paid by Altera is minimum and
    its benifits to Altera in market competition are huge and tremendous.
    In another words, it is not exaggeratory to say that Altera hit a
    Superlotto in the market competition.

    I think both companies, #1 and #2, would establish, or have already
    established, a division to specially research main opponent's
    technology and file aggressive patents to avoid its improvements in
    the future.

    It is right and normal for fighters in battlefield to use minimum of
    force to get superiority in the market.

    That is why I would like to say the patent fighting between Xilinx and
    Altera is so aggressive that anyone having read the patent 7394287
    would smell the powder of the fighting hanging in the air without any
    internal messages leaked from both companied.

    Weng
    Weng Tianxiang, Jun 16, 2009

  2. Weng Tianxiang

    Jon Guest

    Don't they all have cross licensing agreements in place?

    Jon
    Jon, Jun 17, 2009

  3. On Jun 17, 4:03 am, Jon <> wrote:
    > Don't they all have cross licensing agreements in place?
    >
    > Jon

    Hi Jon,
    I don't think so. FPGA industry is different from CPU industry where
    Intel and AMD have known patent exchange agreements.

    Xilinx and Altera fought 7 years in the 1990s' for the FPGA first
    patent rights owned by Xilinx, (as you may know Xilinx is the
    birthplace of FPGA industry), but finally Altera won, it means Altera
    didn't give any compensation money to Xilinx which I heard from a
    Xilinx field engineer.

    Weng
    Weng Tianxiang, Jun 17, 2009
  4. Weng Tianxiang

    Andy Guest

    On Jun 17, 9:16 am, Weng Tianxiang <> wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 4:03 am, Jon <> wrote:
    >
    > > Don't they all have cross licensing agreements in place?

    > > Jon

    > Hi Jon,
    > I don't think so. FPGA industry is different from CPU industry where
    > Intel and AMD have known patent exchange agreements.
    >
    > Xilinx and Altera fought 7 years in the 1990s' for the FPGA first
    > patent rights owned by Xilinx, (as you may know Xilinx is the
    > birthplace of FPGA industry), but finally Altera won, it means Altera
    > didn't give any compensation money to Xilinx which I heard from a
    > Xilinx field engineer.
    >
    > Weng

    I'd be very surprised if they had no cross-licensing at all. Competing
    vendors often "trade" patent licenses. Xilinx may have something
    Altera wants, and Altera may have something Xilinx wants, so they
    trade licenses.

    Andy
    Andy, Jun 17, 2009
  5. On Jun 17, 7:31 am, Andy <> wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 9:16 am, Weng Tianxiang <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jun 17, 4:03 am, Jon <> wrote:

    > > > Don't they all have cross licensing agreements in place?

    > > > Jon

    > > Hi Jon,
    > > I don't think so. FPGA industry is different from CPU industry where
    > > Intel and AMD have known patent exchange agreements.

    > > Xilinx and Altera fought 7 years in the 1990s' for the FPGA first
    > > patent rights owned by Xilinx, (as you may know Xilinx is the
    > > birthplace of FPGA industry), but finally Altera won, it means Altera
    > > didn't give any compensation money to Xilinx which I heard from a
    > > Xilinx field engineer.

    > > Weng

    > I'd be very surprised if they had no cross-licensing at all. Competing
    > vendors often "trade" patent licenses. Xilinx may have something
    > Altera wants, and Altera may have something Xilinx wants, so they
    > trade licenses.
    >
    > Andy- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Andy,
    No.

    Can you point out any technique in current most advanced or most
    obsolete FPGA products commonly shared by Xilinx and Altera? except
    lookup table.

    Weng
    Weng Tianxiang, Jun 17, 2009
  6. Re: Do you know how aggressive the patent fighting between Xilinxand Altera is going?

    Weng Tianxiang wrote:
    > On Jun 17, 4:03 am, Jon <> wrote:
    >> Don't they all have cross licensing agreements in place?
    >>
    >> Jon

    > Hi Jon,
    > I don't think so. FPGA industry is different from CPU industry where
    > Intel and AMD have known patent exchange agreements.
    >
    > Xilinx and Altera fought 7 years in the 1990s' for the FPGA first
    > patent rights owned by Xilinx, (as you may know Xilinx is the
    > birthplace of FPGA industry), but finally Altera won, it means Altera
    > didn't give any compensation money to Xilinx which I heard from a
    > Xilinx field engineer.
    >
    > Weng

    Altera paid Xilinx $20M to settle the patent litigation back in July
    2001. The agreement include a patent cross license.

    http://www.altera.com/corporate/new...1/corporate_partners/pr-corp0718_release.html

    Ed McGettigan
    --
    Xilinx Inc.
    Ed McGettigan, Jun 17, 2009
  7. On Jun 17, 3:53 pm, Ed McGettigan <> wrote:
    > Weng Tianxiang wrote:
    > > On Jun 17, 4:03 am, Jon <> wrote:
    > >> Don't they all have cross licensing agreements in place?

    > >> Jon

    > > Hi Jon,
    > > I don't think so. FPGA industry is different from CPU industry where
    > > Intel and AMD have known patent exchange agreements.

    > > Xilinx and Altera fought 7 years in the 1990s' for the FPGA first
    > > patent rights owned by Xilinx, (as you may know Xilinx is the
    > > birthplace of FPGA industry), but finally Altera won, it means Altera
    > > didn't give any compensation money to Xilinx which I heard from a
    > > Xilinx field engineer.

    > > Weng

    > Altera paid Xilinx $20M to settle the patent litigation back in July
    > 2001.  The agreement include a patent cross license.
    >
    > http://www.altera.com/corporate/news_room/releases/releases_archive/2...
    >
    > Ed McGettigan
    > --
    > Xilinx Inc.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Ed,
    Thank you for your correct and proper information about the case and
    you information prevents any rumors from spreading further. I really
    heared about the case from a Xilinx field engineer and he seemed to be
    unknown of $20 million after my project was switched from Altera's
    chips to Xilinx's and he told the story to boast the Xilinx technology
    reputation.

    Weng
    Weng Tianxiang, Jun 18, 2009