Do you suggest me using IDE when I'm learning JAVA

Lew

BGB said:
but, one can also choose between, say, Notepad and Notepad++, or throw
VisualStudio into the mix if they want (though usually I don't use VS much
as an editor as it is annoyingly unresponsive, but the debugger is nice,
although I also often use WinDbg, ...).

I was not aware that Visual Studio supported Java development or debugging.

granted, not all IDE's [sic] are equal here, and Eclipse for C++ may be a
particularly bad example...
(Eclipse is a lot better with Java, although it still doesn't seem obvious
how one can plug in their own tools...).

Which tools for Java have you not been able to use readily from Eclipse?
What does GIMP have to do with Java?
BGB:
well, it can edit images, and images are often used in apps, but
photo-editing is typically not supported by IDE's [sic] ...

Red herring.
strict IDE'ism would demand a person not use GIMP because it is not part of
their enshrined "integrated" environment...

IDEs are a tool, not a religion, and "integrated" doesn't mean "universal".

Does VS support image editing?
the same can be said about 3D modellers (although most mainstream 3D
modelers are worse, as they by default package all their data into some
proprietary fileformat and have crap support for more "generic"
fileformats), ... (so, a developer might find themselves resorting to
writing their own 3D modelling and animation tools to resist folding to the
will of Autodesk...).

so, really, it is the same sort of problem...

What are you on about?
likewise if one has customized audio or image processing tools involved as
part of their build, ...
Ditto?

Lew:
BGB:
well, the point is that one doesn't need the IDE have this tool, as one can
use 3rd party tools and accomplish the same task.

My point isn't that one can't do it outside the IDE, but that one can inside.
so, one can build the collection of tools best suited to their particular
uses...

or, they may choose to use an IDE for some parts of a project, and the
command-line for others...

Now you're talking sense!

Lew

Arved said:
My most frequent use of emacs is when I forget to supply a comment when
doing a command line Subversion commit; my EDITOR on my UNIXes is emacs,

You know you can change that, right?

Tom Anderson

I think it would depend on the role of the developer and the particular
methodology in use - 50%+ time spent in the IDE might not be indicative
of a low state of software process, or it might be.

I find what i assume to be Arne's point shocking. The ideal software
process would spend *100%* of its time writing code, because it would have
optimised all the supporting activities to the point where all working
time could be put into the one activity that actually produces the output.

tom

Martin Gregorie

this would seem to be all of them, and I suspect CR is falling into
oblivion (since OSX switched to LF...).
I didn't know that OSX used CR. Presumably that was for OS9 and earlier?
Since OSX is based on BSD I's jus assumed it would use LF.

The only place I've seen CR linefeeds at all recently was in Microware's
OS-9 OS - which, by coincidence runs on MC6809 and MC68xxx hardware.

Speaking of MC6809 kit, I don't remember what TSC's Flex-09 used despite
owning a still-functional system. Possibly that was CR as well.

Martin Gregorie

OTOH, one can also use a different editor (I have little idea why MS
never really bothered with LF-only line-ending support, as I wouldn't
think this would be much more than maybe a few lines of code, but oh
well, whatever...).
Most people who deal with this regularly have command line, and hence
scriptable, tools to deal with it, e.g. unix2dos and dos2unix in the UNIX
world or you can always use tr, which has been ported to about as many
OSen as grep has.

Martin Gregorie

well, it can edit images, and images are often used in apps, but
photo-editing is typically not supported by IDE's...
Personally, I find xfig to be much more useful than GIMP for drawing
icons, etc. because it is an Xterm vector graphics editor with the
ability to export JPG or PNG images. This despite its highly nonstandard
UI. However, ymmv.

cr88192

Lew said:
I was not aware that Visual Studio supported Java development or
debugging.

technically, it doesn't...

it can be used though as a general purpose text editor though (which would
include being usable for Java), but its poor responsiveness makes it not
ideal for this (nearly any action in VS is followed by a bit of a delay...).

plain editors, OTOH, tend to be a bit faster...

but, I am a mixed-language developer, and VS works fairly well if/when one
is using C#...
I don't use it so much for C.

I typically use either Eclipse or plain editors for Java...

granted, not all IDE's [sic] are equal here, and Eclipse for C++ may be a
particularly bad example...
(Eclipse is a lot better with Java, although it still doesn't seem
obvious
how one can plug in their own tools...).

Which tools for Java have you not been able to use readily from Eclipse?

well, I have not had much problem with Eclipse for Java, but it is Eclipse
for C++ which is not as good.

most of this is due, FWIW, to too much stuff being hard-coded, stuff which
one could adjust freely with commandline tools (such as Make), or in other
IDE's (such as Visual Studio).

possibly having to edit source and/or recompile is not good, I would at
least want most of the configuration to be in text files or similar.

Lew said:
What does GIMP have to do with Java?
BGB:
well, it can edit images, and images are often used in apps, but
photo-editing is typically not supported by IDE's [sic] ...

Red herring.
strict IDE'ism would demand a person not use GIMP because it is not part
of
their enshrined "integrated" environment...

IDEs are a tool, not a religion, and "integrated" doesn't mean
"universal".

the usual IDE endorsement is that it does everything...

it sort of defeats the "idea" of an IDE if many tasks still require external
apps or tools...

Does VS support image editing?

yeah, but it is in the form of a tool along the lines of MS Paint (simular
UI and abilities, but integrated into VS).

for more elaborate graphics, one will still need a tool such as GIMP (or
Photoshop...).

What are you on about?

3D modelling software also tends to be "integrated", but to a much worse
extent...

the people who make 3D modelling tools have an aversion to using a number of
tools which interoperate by using common file-formats or data
representations.

much like photo editing, some kinds of software also require making use of
3D modeling and animation, but these would not be reasonably provided by a
generic IDE...

OTOH, most "content creation" apps make it awkward to work with data in a
form usable to ones' own apps, as it is sort of assumed I guess that
everything which will be done on a 3D model or scene is done via plugins
into their "glorious" application.

more so, nearly all major commercial 3D modeling programs are now owned by
Autodesk (3DS Max, XSI, Maya, ...). because I guess they like buying out
their competitors...

with something like Make you can plug these things in easily...

typical IDE interfaces focus more on high-level "tasks" and offer less
flexibility WRT defining new tasks, or plugging ones' own tools into
existing tasks.

consider, what if one wants to use their own custom programming language
and/or compiler in a pre-existing IDE along with the stock compiler?...

typically, this is not allowed or is not easy to set up...

not that an IDE couldn't do this, but some things would be different, in
particular, one would need access to a much lower-level view of the build,
namely, in terms of sending particular files through particular tools, with
adjustable commandlines, ...

granted, MSBuild / Ant / ... can (presumably) do stuff like this, but
typically (as in, the ones' in which I am familiar) one can't customize this
directly via the IDE (one instead creates custom files, and maybe edits the
'project' some, ...).

(and one can use MSBuild and Ant via the commandline, ...).

it sort of defeats the purpose though if one ends up falling back to good
old Make...

Lew:

My point isn't that one can't do it outside the IDE, but that one can
inside.

and my point is that one doesn't particularly need an IDE to do these
things, as a good collection of 3rd party tools also works well, and that
even the things outside the IDE (commandline, ...) are not nearly so
terrible as people make them out to be.

for example, repeating a build in the CMD prompt is often:
down, enter (often to repeat the call to make);
down, enter (in this case, typically relaunching the app).

this is not much different than the GUI-based 'F5 to run' (or whatever else)
option, in terms of practical use.

(in Bash it is usually a chain of up's, followed by enter).

it would be worse if I were endlessly having to re-type these commandlines,
but one does not.

Now you're talking sense!

yes, ok.

well, I have not been sitting around here advocating complete abandonment of
IDE's, rather, that they are not some panacea of one-stop
does-everything-in-one-place project development either.

it is just a frustration to me personally that many who make tools, design
them imagining that their tool is such a "one-stop-shop" (and so make little
effort to support the possibility of a world outside their tool, or using a
"mix and match" strategy to get the job done).

granted, this problem is much worse with larger-scale "content creation"
tools than it is with IDEs...

or such...

cr88192

Martin Gregorie said:
Personally, I find xfig to be much more useful than GIMP for drawing
icons, etc. because it is an Xterm vector graphics editor with the
ability to export JPG or PNG images. This despite its highly nonstandard
UI. However, ymmv.

GIMP is often regularly used on Windows though, whereas xfig is not
(although AFAIK it comes with Cygwin along with its special X server...).

cr88192

Martin Gregorie said:
I didn't know that OSX used CR. Presumably that was for OS9 and earlier?
Since OSX is based on BSD I's jus assumed it would use LF.

it does...
I think you misread what I wrote...

OSX does use LF (but OS9 and earlier were CR).

The only place I've seen CR linefeeds at all recently was in Microware's
OS-9 OS - which, by coincidence runs on MC6809 and MC68xxx hardware.

Speaking of MC6809 kit, I don't remember what TSC's Flex-09 used despite
owning a still-functional system. Possibly that was CR as well.

ok.

Martin Gregorie

I think you misread what I wrote...
Yup.

Since I've never seen "OSX" used to refer to OS9 and its ancestors I took
the above to mean that early OS X versions used CR before changing to LF
in midstream.

Martin Gregorie

GIMP is often regularly used on Windows though, whereas xfig is not
(although AFAIK it comes with Cygwin along with its special X
server...).
I intended to say rather the opposite: Windows is quite well supplied
with graphics tools that can draw vector shapes by rubberbanding or
marking vertices: MS Paint, Visio, Paintbox Pro, and (IIRC) L-View Pro
all come to mind but these seem to be pretty thin on the ground for Linux
and other X11 based systems: xfig is the only one I've found so far.

I find it much easier to make clean-looking icons with vector graphics
type drawing tools so I was suggesting it as a useful companion to the
GIMP for this sort of task on X11 systems.

If you know of better equivalents to xfig, especially any with a more
Gnome-like UI, I'd be interested to try them out.

Jim Janney

Mike Schilling said:
True, but the class file format is simple enough that one would whip up a
(say) C++ version of Java reflection in at most a few weeks. I know less
about JPDA, but I suspect the same is true.

Yes. On further reflection I think it's probably a minor factor.
Languages that support introspection may be easier in general to write
IDEs for, but other factors probably dominate. Eclipse wouldn't be
what it is today without IBM's backing, for example.

As a test case I did a quick search on IDEs for Python, and plugins for
NetBeans and Eclipse seem to be competitive with the ones written
specifically for Python.

Lew

On 05/03/2010 08:46 AM,
Tom said:
I find what i [sic] assume to be Arne's point shocking. The ideal software
process would spend *100%* of its time writing code, because it would

That's ridiculous.
have optimised all the supporting activities to the point where all
working time could be put into the one activity that actually produces
the output.

So you completely discount planning, designing, testing, filling out time
cards, taking a whiz, coffee, conversations with team mates and management,
meetings, training, and all the other ancillary activities that make up a work
day. All of which contribute to the output.

What utter irredeemable nonsense. You think like the worst kind of
software-development manager.

Arne Vajhøj

That is a pointless point since it never was in dispute.

Well, if you agree that it can have that meaning and that meaning
makes more sense in the context and is similar to the meaning in
which it is used in other language definitions, then don't you think
it starts to indicate something?

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I think it would depend on the role of the developer and the particular
methodology in use - 50%+ time spent in the IDE might not be indicative
of a low state of software process, or it might be.

And after all, IDE does mean _Integrated_ Development _Environment_. In
theory a developer could be knocking out everything from requirements
analysis through design and coding to running/analyzing tests in one of
those puppies.

Sure - but no matter if he is creating UML, Java LOC's or running JUnit
tests, then I would expect thinking to dominate over typing. And
thinking is a process that unfortunatetly does not benefit from better
tools.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I find what i assume to be Arne's point shocking. The ideal software
process would spend *100%* of its time writing code, because it would
have optimised all the supporting activities to the point where all
working time could be put into the one activity that actually produces
the output.

You think it is shocking that software engineers should spend more time
thinking about the problems instead of typing full speed in their IDE?

I think the definition of engineering is to think more than type.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

At one time I did a lot of coding in Emacs Lisp, using Emacs of
course, and for that Emacs was a very good IDE indeed, as good as
anything I've used. Which leads me to speculate that for reasonably
dynamic languages (Java and Lisp and C# but not C or C++) the best IDE
is one written in the target language. For example, I really expect
any Java IDE to take advantage of the reflection API, and that's
easiest done from Java (or at least some JVM-based language).

I think that is more about eating ones own dog food paradigm.

The technical problems of doing IDE for language A in language B
are solvable.

Some languages may not even be that suited for writing IDE's. I am
not sure that writing a Fortran IDE in Fortran would be optimal.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Interestingly enough JDeveloper's parent, JBuilder (which I used back in
the day), is still available from Embarcadero (CodeGear). That's gotten
so far off my radar screen that I can't say I've run across anyone that
uses it in years. But surely some people do.

AFAIK then newer JDeveloper versions does not have anything from
JBuilder.

Also note that the current JBuilder is Eclipse based.

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
Well, if you agree that it can have that meaning and that meaning
makes more sense in the context and is similar to the meaning in
which it is used in other language definitions, then don't you think
it starts to indicate something?

This has gotten way out of hand.

Yes, the JLS meaning is as you say.

That does not change the fact that it is not incorrect to use "may not" to
mean "might not".

I never disputed that the meaning of "may (not)" is ambiguous. /Au
contraire/, that is the point I was making.

I also was not defending the idea that it means "might not" in the JLS. All I
said with respect to that is that I had always misread it that way before.

It was the notion that it was incorrect to use "may not" to mean "might not"
that I disputed.

Apparently many people did not get that, yourself included.

Buh-bye.