document type does not allow element "HTML" here.

bbxrider

when validating my page i get the error in the subject line
there is a total of 3 errors for the page
i get 2 more errors at the end
"head not finished but doc ended" and "html not finished but doc ended"
i'm thinking these are the result of the first error

here is the page start,
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<head>
<title>stockton beautiful house for sale, lincoln schools 3/2, all new
kitchen, bath, floors, windows</title>
</head>

is this enough info to see what is wrong here?
thanks
bob

Jim Moe

here is the page start,
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<head>
<title>stockton beautiful house for sale, lincoln schools 3/2, all new
kitchen, bath, floors, windows</title>
</head>
The <meta...> and <link...> must be in the <head> section.
Why are you using Transitional?

John Hosking

Jim said:
The <meta...> and <link...> must be in the <head> section.

Although the <head> tag itself (like </head>) is optional, as are the

The error message mentioned by the OP comes because at the <meta> tag
the html element (and the head element) is deemed to have started. Then
when the <html> tag is found, it's extraneous, so the error is reported
as in the Subject line.

bbxrider

thanks very much for your quick replies, now i validate
as far as transitional, i thought it gave more latitude in coding
but if there is good reason not to use it i won't
is there a quick explanation or a link you can suggest so i can understand
it
better or in my case just understand it :)
thanks again
bob

dorayme

"bbxrider said:
thanks very much for your quick replies, now i validate
as far as transitional, i thought it gave more latitude in coding
but if there is good reason not to use it i won't
is there a quick explanation or a link you can suggest so i can understand
it
better or in my case just understand it :)
thanks again
bob

You might read:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/intro.html

It's not too bad.

Please don't top post

Sherman Pendley

bbxrider said:
when validating my page i get the error in the subject line
there is a total of 3 errors for the page
i get 2 more errors at the end
"head not finished but doc ended" and "html not finished but doc ended"
i'm thinking these are the result of the first error

here is the page start,
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
<head>
<title>stockton beautiful house for sale, lincoln schools 3/2, all new
kitchen, bath, floors, windows</title>
</head>

is this enough info to see what is wrong here?

A few comments:

The head element does not belong inside of the body element, it goes above it.

Meta elements belong inside the head element.

If you want to learn HTML, then learn HTML. Buy a book, read a tutorial, take
a class - whatever works for you. What *won't* work is just making stuff up
and hoping browsers somehow manage to cope with it.

sherm--

Harlan Messinger

> thanks, sorry bout the post

So why did you do it again? Er--maybe you don't know what "top post"
means. On Usenet you ought to place your reply AFTER the bit you're
replying to so that people reading the post can follow it in a logical
manner. This becomes especially important if a post is long and you want
to respond to different parts of it in different places.

Jonathan N. Little

Harlan said:
So why did you do it again? Er--maybe you don't know what "top post"
means. On Usenet you ought to place your reply AFTER the bit you're
replying to so that people reading the post can follow it in a logical
manner. This becomes especially important if a post is long and you want
to respond to different parts of it in different places.

Or maybe Britney Syndrome? No matter how one tries it just "Oops, I did
it again!"

Joined
Oct 18, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Vijayakumar

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Hi

<link> tags must be end with <link ........ />