Documenting the Format of XML files

Roedy Green

Are there recommended formal ways of documenting the formats of XML
files? I don't just mean a validating schema, but something that
would let human understand how to compose the files?

Stefan Ram

Roedy Green said:
Are there recommended formal ways of documenting the formats of XML
files? I don't just mean a validating schema, but something that
would let human understand how to compose the files?

A question on XML would be on-topic in comp.text.xml.

For an example of a specification of an XML application, see:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/

Oliver Wong

Stefan Ram said:
Roedy Green said:
Are there recommended formal ways of documenting the formats of XML
files? I don't just mean a validating schema, but something that
would let human understand how to compose the files?
[...]

For an example of a specification of an XML application, see:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/

He asked for something that a *HUMAN* could understand. =P

Seriously though, whenever I've encountered good documentation for XML
file formats, they were usually in one of twoforms:

(1) a XSD schema with <!-- embedded comments --> describing each element
declaration and what they would be used for.
(2) an adhoc, plain text (or HTML) file describing each element and what
they would be used for.

- Oliver

Real Gagnon

Andy Dingley

Are there recommended formal ways of documenting the formats of XML
files? I don't just mean a validating schema, but something that
would let human understand how to compose the files?

What's a "format" ? Just a Schema, structure and data typing? Or
something more, heading towards an ontology? You'll be using XML
Schema and possibly OWL too. Both of these have reasonable scope for
annotation metadata. Typically a simple XSLT stylesheet is used to
present these in a more human-friendly form.

You can also look at smart editors for these formats. Protege from
stanford.edu is well worth a look at it (also read the "ontology 101"
paper and the "Protege pizza tutorial" from Manchester)

Domagoj Klepac

Seriously though, whenever I've encountered good documentation for XML
file formats, they were usually in one of twoforms:

(1) a XSD schema with <!-- embedded comments --> describing each element
declaration and what they would be used for.
(2) an adhoc, plain text (or HTML) file describing each element and what
they would be used for.

I second that.
And the most convenient way to view XSD schema I found is to open it
in XMLSpy and use its Schema/WSDL graphic view. Makes good prints as
well.

Domchi