Does anyone pay attention to standards?

Stan McCann

Whitecrest said:
The problem with standards on something as diverse as the web is I might
not like your choice of standards, and you might not like mine.

You and I don't set the standards. We should agree on a set used all
over; there is *one* BTW. Ever hear of W3C?

Alan J. Flavell

But keep in mind MANY sites are more concerned with appearance and
presentation,

Good presentation doesn't necessarily exclude good content
because THAT is what drives people to their site,

WHAT???

Perhaps you'd like to share with us how that's done. Don't be afraid
to spell it out, step by step: I won't feel patronised.
not search results.

Have you actually looked at the proportion of page accesses which
result from a search? Across a wide range of types of web site, I
mean?
People go to the Coke site because they already know the url,

Well spotted. Now tell us again how that "drives people to their
site"?
they don't have to search for it.

You said:
But keep in mind MANY sites are more concerned with appearance and ^^^^
presentation,

So: how many thousands, out of the total number of web sites, have the
luxury of having their URL known already by the web audience, would
you estimate? What proportion is that of the whole?

Hence or otherwise deduce how realistic it is for the majority of web
sites to design web pages which emulate them, and take no account of
indexing robots.

If I was in business (the regular readers have seen this before...),
you're the kind of competition I'd just love to have.

Whitecrest

Good presentation doesn't necessarily exclude good content

Never said it did

What drives people to "The Punisher" web site? It's position in the
search engines? Nope, the radio, tv, and print ads send them to the
site. What keeps people there? The presentation of the information
about the movie.
Perhaps you'd like to share with us how that's done. Don't be afraid
to spell it out, step by step: I won't feel patronised.

See above.
Well spotted. Now tell us again how that "drives people to their
site"?

TV, Radio and print ads.
So: how many thousands, out of the total number of web sites, have the
luxury of having their URL known already by the web audience, would
you estimate? What proportion is that of the whole?

Well pretty much any fortune 500 or better company in the world, and
virtually all web sites made for movies or tv.
Hence or otherwise deduce how realistic it is for the majority of web
sites to design web pages which emulate them, and take no account of
indexing robots.

I have always said if you site is there to directly make money, then by
all means your site should be accessible to as many as possible (which
includes search engines) ALL other web site must be dealt with in a
case by case manner to decide what is best for them. One size does not
fit all.
If I was in business (the regular readers have seen this before...),
you're the kind of competition I'd just love to have.

If you make entertainment web sites, then you already have me as your
competition. And your right, I love it.

Brian

Whitecrest said:
keep in mind MANY sites are more concerned with appearance and
presentation,

Well, that is certainly true. They seem to play to the www's weaknesses
instead of its strengths.
because THAT is what drives people to their site, not search results.

Oh? And how, praytell, did you reach that conclusion? Because what I've
read suggests that the 2 means of getting visitors to your site are
search engines and email referrals. (I cannot find Jakob Nielsen's
column that discusses this; does anyone have the link?)
A simple search for "sparkling cola beverage" in google does not have
a link to any of the leading brands of cola beverages in the first 7
pages. Why?

Maybe because it's an odd search phrase to find cola?
People go to the Coke site because they already know the url, they
don't have to search for it.

Uh, ok. But if they *did* search for it, wouldn't they search for "coke?"

http://www.google.com/search?q=coke

Or "cola?"

http://www.google.com/search?q=cola

Or perhaps "coca cola?"

http://www.google.com/search?q=coca cola

Owen Jacobson

And if I disagree with them?

Publish your own. Convince others to use it. Provide tools and support
for your standard. Document how and why it's better than the existing
standards.

Alan J. Flavell

What drives people to "The Punisher" web site?

(Never heard of it, but no matter...)
It's position in the search engines?

Is it? (SCNR)
Nope, the radio, tv, and print ads send them to the site.

So, now you're saying that they go there because they've seen
advertisements for it?

Previously you said, and I quote:
But keep in mind MANY sites are more concerned with appearance and
presentation, because THAT is what drives people to their site,

Forgive me if I'm slow on the uptake, but I had the distinct
impression there that you were saying that it was the appearance of
the web site itself which "drives people to their site".

Now you're saying that what sends them there is radio, tv and
print advertising. Am I clear now?
TV, Radio and print ads.

Right. Not the design of the web site. Got it.

Thanks.

Lauri Raittila

In said:
Never said it did

What drives people to "The Punisher" web site? It's position in the
search engines? Nope, the radio, tv, and print ads send them to the
site. What keeps people there? The presentation of the information
about the movie.

Well, it is esier to search for the punisher, that guess what the url
will be. In fact, i don't think I would have gotten it right by guess.
Much easier to write "Punisher" to addressfield and hit ctrl+l. If
official page would be unsearchable, I would most likely end up different
site, possibly some that tells me how the movie really sucks. (of course
I could use normal goole search instead of lucky, but usually lucky is
good enaugh)
See above.

TV, Radio and print ads.

They don't have anything to do with looks of website, do they?
Well pretty much any fortune 500 or better company in the world, and
virtually all web sites made for movies or tv.

No, punisherthemovie.com, thepunisher.com, www.punisher-movie.com

Which one is official? You don't remember that. So it is easier to
search.

Whitecrest

I would most likely end up different
site, possibly some that tells me how the movie really sucks. (of course
I could use normal goole search instead of lucky, but usually lucky is
good enaugh)

Wouldn't know, I probably won't see the movie.
They don't have anything to do with looks of website, do they?

Nope, but it takes "better engine placement" out of the equation for a
lot of companies as a reason to follow a standard.
No, punisherthemovie.com, thepunisher.com, www.punisher-movie.com
Which one is official? You don't remember that. So it is easier to
search.

I guess if you are doing a lot of drugs or you were getting head while
trying to remember the url that is true but in all other cases you would
probably remember it after reading, or hearing it.

Whitecrest

Publish your own. Convince others to use it. Provide tools and support
for your standard. Document how and why it's better than the existing
standards.

Or only use the pieces I want to make it work the way I want it to,
which is what 99% of the entire web does right now.

Brendan Taylor

Or only use the pieces I want to make it work the way I want it to,
which is what 99% of the entire web does right now.

Which is most certainly not a good thing.
If browsers supported standards as they were supposed to, it would make
everybody's life easier.
The only way to encourage browsers to change is to do HTML properly.
Besides, even with IE being horribly wrong about everything coding to
standards isn't a great deal of effort - easier than not, I would say.

spaghetti

Doesn't anyone care anymore, or are the standards more-or-less looked at
as guidlines for web design?

Why do I pay attention to standards? I'm on dial-up, and have respect for
other dial-up users.

I know people who consider dial-up users the minority when in fact we are
MAJORITY. It reminds me a few years back when programmers weren't so
concerned about "code bloat" because computers were continually getting
better and bigger, so the time spent streamlining code didn't seem worth
it. Then along came handheld devices, where streamlined code was
mandatory...

People think spending time developing for dial-up doesn't matter because
more and more people are getting broadband everyday. But then comes along
the WIRELESS handheld devices... :p

Standards don't entirely solve the bandwidth problem, but they are
three-fourths of the solution. And pages developed with standards almost
always still work for me even if I choose to turn off graphics or sync the
page to my handheld.

goodhart

spaghetti said:
Why do I pay attention to standards? I'm on dial-up, and have respect for
other dial-up users.

I know people who consider dial-up users the minority when in fact we are
MAJORITY. It reminds me a few years back when programmers weren't so
concerned about "code bloat" because computers were continually getting
better and bigger, so the time spent streamlining code didn't seem worth
it. Then along came handheld devices, where streamlined code was
mandatory...

I completely agree, I am also A dialup user and Not likely to have the
option of broadband for
many years to come, not due to price but due to living in a remote area with
no access (I don't even get
mobile reception) Just under %90 of Australian Internet users are on dialup
and pages with lots
of non standard bloat make for a very unpleasant and fustrating surfing
experience.

I design pages for Australian business with Australian customers who need
standard complient fast loading
pages to make a good impression.

Trusylver

Alan J. Flavell

If you are the only one using it, it's not a standard.

SGML is an ISO standard. HTML is a W3C recommendation. XHTML is a
W3C trademarked product. Hence or otherwise deduce which are
literally standards.

However, the cited document isn't useful in SGML terms without some
way for users to get a copy of the author's MyHTML4 DTD.

Ulujain

Brendan Taylor said:
Which is most certainly not a good thing.
If browsers supported standards as they were supposed to, it would make
everybody's life easier.

Not everyone thinks the recommendations (which is what they are) are a
Great Thing(tm). Have a read of Jukka Korpela's review of HTML 4. I
agree with him every step of the way when it comes to <object>. Most
over-engineered implementation the W3C ever dreamed up. Why
reduplicate the <embed> tag? Because the W3C didn't dream it up?
<embed> is proprietary, you say? So where <frame>'s at one stage, so
was <layer>, but a lot of its functionality ended up in CSS...

And what purpose does <q> serve? Short in-line quotations...something
that typing out "this is a quote!" couldn't do to begin with?
No wonder browsers were slow to pick that one up.

For the most part, I agree with the W3C recommendations, but those who
write them definitely need to refine their Keep It Simple, Stupid
theories. (as well as bone up on what the word "illegal" means in the
English language.)

'Later
Peter

Whitecrest

usenet3 said:
Well, that is certainly true. They seem to play to the www's weaknesses
instead of its strengths.

To many of the purist here, but in the real world (fortune 500), it is
the exact opposite. Now if they change, then I will change too. But
they see no financial gain from doing so, and neither do I.
Oh? And how, praytell, did you reach that conclusion? Because what I've
read suggests that the 2 means of getting visitors to your site are
search engines and email referrals. (I cannot find Jakob Nielsen's
column that discusses this; does anyone have the link?)

Article or not, if it were true, then Coke would be the first link you
saw if you searched google for "sparkling cola beverage"

Maybe because it's an odd search phrase to find cola?

Uh, ok. But if they *did* search for it, wouldn't they search for "coke?"

Ah yes searching for the name of the company. Even my own site is in
the top 4 if you search for Whitecrest entertainment. And I don't
follow any standards! Actually I do and I validate, but that is not the
point. Search for any company name and you get the company in the first
page. That is not searching.

Whitecrest

So, now you're saying that they go there because they've seen
advertisements for it?
Previously you said, and I quote:
Forgive me if I'm slow on the uptake...

Yes you are slow, You know exactly what I'm saying but would rather
troll.