    severely limited (prevented?) true MVC designs with WebForms. Any ideas?

    --
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    Kunle Odutola, Feb 8, 2006

  2. Kunle Odutola

    Scott Allen Guest

    On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 05:02:01 -0000, "Kunle Odutola"
    <> wrote:

    >WebForms used to be a Page controller architecture (in .NET 1.x) which
    >severely limited (prevented?) true MVC designs with WebForms. Any ideas?

    If you think 1.x prevented an MVC design, then I'm sure you'll find
    2.0 also prevents an MVC design.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/
    Scott Allen, Feb 8, 2006

  3. "Scott Allen" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 05:02:01 -0000, "Kunle Odutola"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >WebForms used to be a Page controller architecture (in .NET 1.x) which
    > >severely limited (prevented?) true MVC designs with WebForms. Any ideas?

    > If you think 1.x prevented an MVC design, then I'm sure you'll find
    > 2.0 also prevents an MVC design.

    I merely stated a fact - ASP.NET 1.x's page controller architecture meant
    one had to dump WebForms and build MVC frameworks from scratch as it were
    (e.g. the web MVC portions of Maverick.NET, MonoRail, Struts.NET,
    Spring.NET).

    I was wondering if ASP.NET 2.0 still has the same basic limitation (i.e page
    controller architecure for webforms). There was an MS statement that Whidbey
    would sport a front controller but, I haven't been able to get a clear and
    definitive answer as to whether .NET 2.0 does from my usual sources so far.

    Kunle
    Kunle Odutola, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Kunle Odutola

    Scott Allen Guest

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:26:11 -0000, "Kunle Odutola"
    <> wrote:

    >I merely stated a fact - ASP.NET 1.x's page controller architecture meant
    >one had to dump WebForms and build MVC frameworks from scratch as it were
    >(e.g. the web MVC portions of Maverick.NET, MonoRail, Struts.NET,
    >Spring.NET).

    Yes, I know. I was merely trying to say nothing much changed.

    >I was wondering if ASP.NET 2.0 still has the same basic limitation (i.e page
    >controller architecure for webforms). There was an MS statement that Whidbey
    >would sport a front controller but, I haven't been able to get a clear and
    >definitive answer as to whether .NET 2.0 does from my usual sources so far.

    I don't know what the MS statement could have been discussing. The
    ASP.NET 2.0 architecture is still web form oriented. Some additional
    extensibility points, like the VirtualPathProvider might help, but I'm
    sure you'll still be wiring up a custom HttpHandler.

    Scott Allen, Feb 13, 2006
  5. "Scott Allen" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 11:26:11 -0000, "Kunle Odutola"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >I merely stated a fact - ASP.NET 1.x's page controller architecture meant
    > >one had to dump WebForms and build MVC frameworks from scratch as it were
    > >(e.g. the web MVC portions of Maverick.NET, MonoRail, Struts.NET,
    > >Spring.NET).
    > >

    > Yes, I know. I was merely trying to say nothing much changed.

    Thanks. I suspected nothing had changed.

    > >I was wondering if ASP.NET 2.0 still has the same basic limitation (i.e

    page
    > >controller architecure for webforms). There was an MS statement that

    Whidbey
    > >would sport a front controller but, I haven't been able to get a clear

    and
    > >definitive answer as to whether .NET 2.0 does from my usual sources so

    far.

    > I don't know what the MS statement could have been discussing. The
    > ASP.NET 2.0 architecture is still web form oriented. Some additional
    > extensibility points, like the VirtualPathProvider might help, but I'm
    > sure you'll still be wiring up a custom HttpHandler.

    Oh well, business as usual isn't so bad. Thanks.

    Kunle
    Kunle Odutola, Feb 13, 2006