Does ASP.NET in .NET 2.0 now have a front controller architecture?

Kunle Odutola

WebForms used to be a Page controller architecture (in .NET 1.x) which
severely limited (prevented?) true MVC designs with WebForms. Any ideas?

Scott Allen

WebForms used to be a Page controller architecture (in .NET 1.x) which
severely limited (prevented?) true MVC designs with WebForms. Any ideas?

If you think 1.x prevented an MVC design, then I'm sure you'll find
2.0 also prevents an MVC design.

Kunle Odutola

Scott Allen said:
If you think 1.x prevented an MVC design, then I'm sure you'll find
2.0 also prevents an MVC design.

I merely stated a fact - ASP.NET 1.x's page controller architecture meant
one had to dump WebForms and build MVC frameworks from scratch as it were
(e.g. the web MVC portions of Maverick.NET, MonoRail, Struts.NET,
Spring.NET).

I was wondering if ASP.NET 2.0 still has the same basic limitation (i.e page
controller architecure for webforms). There was an MS statement that Whidbey
would sport a front controller but, I haven't been able to get a clear and
definitive answer as to whether .NET 2.0 does from my usual sources so far.

Kunle

Scott Allen

I merely stated a fact - ASP.NET 1.x's page controller architecture meant
one had to dump WebForms and build MVC frameworks from scratch as it were
(e.g. the web MVC portions of Maverick.NET, MonoRail, Struts.NET,
Spring.NET).

Yes, I know. I was merely trying to say nothing much changed.
I was wondering if ASP.NET 2.0 still has the same basic limitation (i.e page
controller architecure for webforms). There was an MS statement that Whidbey
would sport a front controller but, I haven't been able to get a clear and
definitive answer as to whether .NET 2.0 does from my usual sources so far.

I don't know what the MS statement could have been discussing. The
ASP.NET 2.0 architecture is still web form oriented. Some additional
extensibility points, like the VirtualPathProvider might help, but I'm
sure you'll still be wiring up a custom HttpHandler.

Kunle Odutola

Scott Allen said:
Yes, I know. I was merely trying to say nothing much changed.

Thanks. I suspected nothing had changed.
I don't know what the MS statement could have been discussing. The
ASP.NET 2.0 architecture is still web form oriented. Some additional
extensibility points, like the VirtualPathProvider might help, but I'm
sure you'll still be wiring up a custom HttpHandler.

Oh well, business as usual isn't so bad. Thanks.

Kunle