    and does it support Suns' Java on that System, since I know Microsoft and
    Sun are not friendly-cooperated).

    Thanks :)

    Mr. X., Mar 2, 2008

  2. Mr. X.

    Peter Duniho Guest

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 01:21:20 -0800, Mr. X.
    <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:

    > Does Java work on Macintosh (the Sun's Java),

    Apple has a Java implementation for Macintosh. I don't know what you mean
    by "the Sun's Java", but if you've looked at Sun's own website, you'll
    notice they don't offer a download for Mac. Apple's implementation might
    be based on Sun's, but if that's the case then in my experience they've
    added their own bugs to it.

    Furthermore, the only way to get Java 1.6 on the Mac is to have the latest
    OS X version, Leopard (v10.5). Even then, it's only a beta version of
    Apple's 1.6 run-time. On Tiger (v10.4), there's only 1.5 and earlier, and
    on Panther (v10.3) there's only 1.4.2 support.

    > and what OSs are most populate on Macintosh ?

    That seems like a silly question. Obviously, Apple's own OS X is the most
    popular OS for the Mac.

    > (I wonder if there is Microsoft OS on Macintosh,
    > and does it support Suns' Java on that System, since I know Microsoft and
    > Sun are not friendly-cooperated).

    The Intel Macs can run other operating systems, including Linux and
    Windows. Those operating systems run just as they would on any other
    computer, so if you've got Java installed, it will work.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho, Mar 2, 2008

  3. In article <fqdrf1$mti$>,
    "Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Does Java work on Macintosh (the Sun's Java),
    > and what OSs are most populate on Macintosh ?
    > (I wonder if there is Microsoft OS on Macintosh,
    > and does it support Suns' Java on that System, since I know Microsoft and
    > Sun are not friendly-cooperated).
    >
    > Thanks :)

    Apple's JVM is based on Sun's JVM kit.

    All OS X may run 32 bit Java 1.4
    OS 10.4 and 10.5 have 32 bit Java 1.5.0_13
    OS 10.5 may run a preview of 64 bit Java 1.6.0_04

    Apple includes Java APIs to system libraries so no JNI is needed. I
    don't know who's using it.

    --
    I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Mar 2, 2008
  4. Mr. X.

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 11:21:20 +0200, "Mr. X."
    <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
    someone who said :

    >Does Java work on Macintosh (the Sun's Java),
    >and what OSs are most populate on Macintosh ?
    >(I wonder if there is Microsoft OS on Macintosh,
    >and does it support Suns' Java on that System, since I know Microsoft and
    >Sun are not friendly-cooperated).

    JDK 1.5 but not 1.6
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products