domain name vs public url in connect string

bbxrider

am using win2k adv serv, iis5.0
this works
Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb)};//111.222.333.444/ShareName/PathToDatabase/MyDB.mdb; Uid=;Pwd="
but this does not
Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb)};//domain.name/ShareName/PathToDatabase/MyDB.mdb; Uid=;Pwd="

the share and path somehow need to be different when using domain name vs
public ip, the domain name is ok for web pages, ping, etc

Atrax

I'd stay stick with the IP if the IP is reasonably permanent - with the
domain name the machine will need to do occasional DNS lookups - and as
we see from these groups, there are often DNS problems (the SMTP group
is a case study in this, so many questions there are problems with bad
DNS on the server)

of course, having said that, I'd also note that using Access over HTTP
is really not an ideal solution - Access was never built as a database
server.

If you have the budget and in-house skills I'd recommend an immediate
upgrade to SQL Server (or similar network-capable DB server). Whether
you can justify the upgrade or not I can't say from here, but I'd
certainly be looking at a change if I was asked to connect to an Access
DB over HTTP

Atrax. MVP, IIS
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/

newsflash : Atrax.Richedit 1.0 now released.
http://rtfm.atrax.co.uk/infinitemonkeys/components/Atrax.RichEdit/

bbxrider

thanx, for the sql advice this is kinda low volume so maybe mdb will work
but what about the connection string using domain name??