    or tricks? Smart arses need not reply. Although I fully understand that
    this request is like waving a red rag to a bull around here but there ya
    go.............................
    Tiddley-Pom, Oct 18, 2003

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Tiddley-Pom

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    "Tiddley-Pom" <> wrote:

    > Hey all. I want to put some stuff, eg a couple of small programs on my web
    > space. Now I know somesones gonna tell me to goggle it or something

    <http://www.goggle.com/>
    Yes I know, it is damn hard. Took me 2 minutes before I could shoot that
    moving bear and claim my free prize.

    > but I
    > thought I'd just check in here for a sec and ask. I want to link from a
    > page and then hopefully it should download to anothers computer..

    After the visitor on his end follows the link, yes. It always does.

    > Any tips
    > or tricks? Smart arses need not reply. Although I fully understand that
    > this request is like waving a red rag to a bull around here but there ya
    > go.

    Well, there are plenty of places where you can ask your question and not
    wonder whether it will lead to discussion or not.

    Overall, you have no control over what happens to the file once it
    downloads to the user's computer. Files like images, Word documents or
    PDF document illustrate that nicely. One user will see them displayed in
    a browser window, the other will have an external application startup
    and display it and another will be prompted to save the file to disk.
    That all depends on the (custom) settings in the browser.

    However, you _may_ find it useful to compress the file and its
    accompanied readme files and the like, into a ZIP archive (along with
    instructions on what to do with it; remember Windows does not come with
    any utility to unzip these files).

    Downloading a .zip file will lead in most cases to the desired result,
    namely storing the application and its fellow files on the user's HD;
    the process of unzipping and storing may be done by any application of
    any kind that knows how to do something with it, but that is not of your
    concern.

    For instance, if I have to download a .zip file, an application called
    "Stuffit Expander" (MAc OS 10.2.8) on my HD handles the unzipping of the
    file. That is, if I let it do so, because usually I Option-click a link
    in order to download it's resource directly to disk, without any
    processing.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Tiddley-Pom

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Tiddley-Pom said...

    > Hey all. I want to put some stuff, eg a couple of small programs on my web
    > space. Now I know somesones gonna tell me to goggle it or something but I
    > thought I'd just check in here for a sec and ask.

    <q>alt.html is not your very own 24x7 personal help desk.</q>

    <q>Just about everything you ask has been asked before, usually only a
    few minutes/hours ago. Scan through previous posts before asking your
    question, visit the alt.html Frequently Asked Questions Site or do a
    search through old posts using the Google Usenet Archives.</q>
    http://alt-html.org/

    --
    brucie.
    19/October/2003 09:06:47 am
    brucie, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Tiddley-Pom

    Tiddley-Pom Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In post <>
    > Tiddley-Pom said...
    >
    > > Hey all. I want to put some stuff, eg a couple of small programs on my

    web
    > > space. Now I know somesones gonna tell me to goggle it or something but

    > > thought I'd just check in here for a sec and ask.

    > <q>alt.html is not your very own 24x7 personal help desk.</q>
    >
    > <q>Just about everything you ask has been asked before, usually only a
    > few minutes/hours ago. Scan through previous posts before asking your
    > question, visit the alt.html Frequently Asked Questions Site or do a
    > search through old posts using the Google Usenet Archives.</q>
    > http://alt-html.org/
    >
    > --
    > brucie.
    > 19/October/2003 09:06:47 am

    Tell ya what Brucie. Since proly everything has been asked before lets all
    pack up and go home and just use the faq's. huh ? Its kinda like banks
    and their attempts to decrease human interaction and get everything done
    through machines. People, specially me, like human interaction.
    Particularly when we're new to this stuff and feeling their around. Oh
    yeah. Stop trying to be an arrogant smart arse. It doesn't suit you
    Tiddley-Pom, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Tiddley-Pom

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:01:17 +1300, "Tiddley-Pom" <>
    wrote:

    : People, specially me, like human interaction.

    Then ask your local butcher...

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Tiddley-Pom

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Tiddley-Pom said...

    > People, specially me, like human interaction.

    xenophobe

    --
    brucie.
    19/October/2003 10:14:00 am
    brucie, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Tiddley-Pom

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    "Tiddley-Pom" <> wrote:

    > People, specially me, like human interaction.

    Unfortunately, your parents did too.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Tiddley-Pom

    Tiddley-Pom Guest

    "Kris" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > "Tiddley-Pom" <> wrote:
    >
    > > People, specially me, like human interaction.

    > Unfortunately, your parents did too.
    >
    > --
    > Kris
    > erlands (nl)

    Don't take long to work out the smug no alls in these places huh.
    Tiddley-Pom, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Tiddley-Pom

    Tiddley-Pom Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:01:17 +1300, "Tiddley-Pom" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > : People, specially me, like human interaction.
    >
    > Then ask your local butcher...
    >
    > Sid

    I would if I were asking information about meat. But he dont know much
    about computers anyway.
    Tiddley-Pom, Oct 19, 2003
  11. Tiddley-Pom wrote:
    > "brucie" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <q>alt.html is not your very own 24x7 personal help desk.</q>

    > Tell ya what Brucie. Since proly everything has been asked before
    > lets all pack up and go home and just use the faq's. huh ?

    Someone posted a link to the following article in another group, and I
    think it's quite relevant here:

    This section, in particular, is probably worth a careful lookover:

    <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before>

    .... As well as the introduction right above it.

    Make even a token effort to help yourself, and folks will be more
    willing to pitch in.

    --
    Joel.
    Joel Shepherd, Oct 19, 2003
  12. Tiddley-Pom

    Tiddley-Pom Guest

    "Joel Shepherd" <> wrote in message
    > Tiddley-Pom wrote:
    > > "brucie" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> <q>alt.html is not your very own 24x7 personal help desk.</q>

    > > Tell ya what Brucie. Since proly everything has been asked before
    > > lets all pack up and go home and just use the faq's. huh ?

    > Someone posted a link to the following article in another group, and I
    > think it's quite relevant here:
    >
    > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
    >
    > This section, in particular, is probably worth a careful lookover:
    >
    > <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before>
    >
    > ... As well as the introduction right above it.
    >
    > Make even a token effort to help yourself, and folks will be more
    > willing to pitch in.
    >
    > --
    > Joel.

    hmmmmm. since im the novice around here and some of my question are fairly
    basic, and that it seems to be assumed that I have not looked for an answer
    elsewhere, perhaps I should look for a novice forum. Hopefully there will
    be les arrogance.
    Tiddley-Pom, Oct 19, 2003
  13. Tiddley-Pom

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Tiddley-Pom said...

    > hmmmmm. since im the novice around here and some of my question are fairly
    > basic, and that it seems to be assumed that I have not looked for an answer
    > elsewhere,

    there was no need to assume.

    <quote>
    Now I know somesones gonna tell me to goggle it or something but I
    thought I'd just check in here for a sec and ask.
    </quote>

    if you're too lazy to help yourself why should anyone else bother. if
    you want a pat on the head for being lazy pay someone.

    --
    brucie.
    19/October/2003 12:07:54 pm
    brucie, Oct 19, 2003
  14. Tiddley-Pom

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:44:57 +1300, "Tiddley-Pom" <>
    wrote:

    :
    : "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:01:17 +1300, "Tiddley-Pom" <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : > : People, specially me, like human interaction.
    : >
    : > Then ask your local butcher...
    : >
    : > Sid
    :
    : I would if I were asking information about meat. But he dont know much
    : about computers anyway.

    Therein lies the rub - a computer and html pro recommended that you refer to
    the FAQs, and you scorned him just as you did the butcher.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Oct 19, 2003
  15. Tiddley-Pom

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 14:53:29 +1300, "Tiddley-Pom" <>
    wrote:

    : perhaps I should look for a novice forum. Hopefully there will
    : be less arrogance.

    Do a Dale Cargegie course first. Then come back in 1 year.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Oct 19, 2003
  16. Tiddley-Pom

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:00:25 +0200, Kris is reported to have
    stated:

    > a ZIP archive (along with
    > instructions on what to do with it; remember Windows does not come with
    > any utility to unzip these files).

    Windows XP does. But the warning still applies to earlier versions of
    Windows, of course. :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au