Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Oct 25)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Cameron Laird, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. QOTW: "[M]uch of the sample Python code in the world represents
    relatively good programming practices." -- Tim Roberts
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    "[C]hoosing a language based on the speed of its implementations is the
    ultimate _premature_ optimization, of course." -- Alex Martelli
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=1gl6fnk.m1zq7z1fm0nhbN%

    Andreas Kostyrka summarizes the design judgment behind
    Python's locking.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=

    Not only has the logging module become an apparent moral
    imperative, but explaining its ease seems on the same path.
    Ville Vainio and others do their part.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=10bba0a04f732ecf

    Andrew Clover knows how to deal with expat's limitations in
    confronting DBCS encodings. You'll want this if you deal with
    oriental writing systems.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=ece30b7ac22a07ca

    Web production is collaborative. This has consequences.
    Alex Martelli makes the design ones clear. Max M and others
    argue the range of applicability of "templating".
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=e04c0e3a94f5dbea

    Python can compose functions in single lines, when pushed.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=70faaff2eafa600f

    Rather than fret about schedules, compatibility, and so on,
    Jeremy Bowers' response to the puzzle of Tile upgrades is
    simply to use them.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?frame=left&th=7470b5487e0132f8

    Python even connects to the real world. That's the experience,
    at least, of the folks at Engenuity Corporation and Phaseit on
    the verge of sponsoring an Agile Control Forum. "Control" here
    has to do with physical objects--things that move.
    http://www.engcorp.com/acf/AcfAnnouncement

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.
    Cameron Laird, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Cameron Laird

    Alan Kennedy Guest

    Alan Kennedy, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Cameron Laird

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Alan Kennedy wrote:
    > [Cameron Laird]
    > > Andreas Kostyrka summarizes the design judgment behind
    > > Python's locking.
    > >

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=
    >

    > I've got to say that I found Luis P Caamano's contribution to that
    > thread far more enlightening. It gives the best historical perspective
    > on the GIL that I've ever read.
    >
    > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-October/245412.html

    "Historical"? You mean the part that begins with his statement
    '''I speculate that the GIL "problem" might have grown to its current
    state because CPython grew in parallel with thread programming. '''

    Speculation is always an interesting way to study history. <wink>

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Oct 26, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    >Alan Kennedy wrote:
    >> [Cameron Laird]
    >> > Andreas Kostyrka summarizes the design judgment behind
    >> > Python's locking.
    >> >

    >http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=
    >>

    >> I've got to say that I found Luis P Caamano's contribution to that
    >> thread far more enlightening. It gives the best historical perspective
    >> on the GIL that I've ever read.
    >>
    >> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-October/245412.html

    >"Historical"? You mean the part that begins with his statement
    >'''I speculate that the GIL "problem" might have grown to its current
    >state because CPython grew in parallel with thread programming. '''
    >
    >Speculation is always an interesting way to study history. <wink>
    >
    >-Peter

    Yes, well, but apart from that, Alan is soooooo right to mention his
    impression. We're Usenet here, folks, and it thrills me when people
    take "Python-URL!" not as an authority, but rather as a starting point
    for productive discussion. Thank you, Alan, for pointing out Mr.
    Caamano's follow-up, for it indeed merits attention.
    Cameron Laird, Oct 26, 2004