    Windows) and have that icon act on something which has been dropped on it.

    many thanks for any assistance

    ---eric
    Eric S. Johansson, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Eric S. Johansson wrote:

    > I have a small problem that may be best solved by dragging and dropping
    > a mail message to an icon. But I'm honestly not sure what the data will
    > look like from different e-mail clients. Since most of my programming
    > experience is something a user rarely sees, I'm not even sure where to
    > start creating a test case.
    >
    > I would appreciate pointers to documentation (and yes I did Google
    > before asking) how to create an icon on a desktop (Macintosh and
    > Windows) and have that icon act on something which has been dropped on it.

    Drag'n'Drop is highly OS-dependand and clearly out of scope for
    standard-out-of-the-box python. If you are on macintosh, pyobjc and

    http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?DragAndDrop

    will certainly help.

    HTH,

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Apr 12, 2006

  3. Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
    > Eric S. Johansson wrote:
    > Drag'n'Drop is highly OS-dependand and clearly out of scope for
    > standard-out-of-the-box python. If you are on macintosh, pyobjc and
    >
    > http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?DragAndDrop
    >
    > will certainly help.

    it does, thank you. as for drag and drop being highly GUI dependent, I
    was under the impression that the standard toolkits like tkinter had
    some form of abstraction for drag-and-drop built-in. I wasn't sure if
    it was possible to leverage some small portion of that for my application.

    ---eric
    Eric S. Johansson, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Eric S. Johansson wrote:

    > it does, thank you. as for drag and drop being highly GUI dependent, I
    > was under the impression that the standard toolkits like tkinter had
    > some form of abstraction for drag-and-drop built-in. I wasn't sure if
    > it was possible to leverage some small portion of that for my application.

    They might include some default-dnd stuff, e.g. dragging text around. But
    ususally, one has to do all sorts funky "I'm ineterested in this, but not
    that"-registration stuff.

    diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Apr 12, 2006