drag and drop to icon

Eric S. Johansson

I have a small problem that may be best solved by dragging and dropping
a mail message to an icon. But I'm honestly not sure what the data will
look like from different e-mail clients. Since most of my programming
experience is something a user rarely sees, I'm not even sure where to
start creating a test case.

I would appreciate pointers to documentation (and yes I did Google
before asking) how to create an icon on a desktop (Macintosh and
Windows) and have that icon act on something which has been dropped on it.

many thanks for any assistance

---eric

Diez B. Roggisch

Eric said:
I have a small problem that may be best solved by dragging and dropping
a mail message to an icon. But I'm honestly not sure what the data will
look like from different e-mail clients. Since most of my programming
experience is something a user rarely sees, I'm not even sure where to
start creating a test case.

I would appreciate pointers to documentation (and yes I did Google
before asking) how to create an icon on a desktop (Macintosh and
Windows) and have that icon act on something which has been dropped on it.

Drag'n'Drop is highly OS-dependand and clearly out of scope for
standard-out-of-the-box python. If you are on macintosh, pyobjc and

http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?DragAndDrop

will certainly help.

HTH,

Diez

Eric S. Johansson

Diez said:
Eric S. Johansson wrote:
Drag'n'Drop is highly OS-dependand and clearly out of scope for
standard-out-of-the-box python. If you are on macintosh, pyobjc and

http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?DragAndDrop

will certainly help.

it does, thank you. as for drag and drop being highly GUI dependent, I
was under the impression that the standard toolkits like tkinter had
some form of abstraction for drag-and-drop built-in. I wasn't sure if
it was possible to leverage some small portion of that for my application.

---eric

Diez B. Roggisch

Eric said:
it does, thank you. as for drag and drop being highly GUI dependent, I
was under the impression that the standard toolkits like tkinter had
some form of abstraction for drag-and-drop built-in. I wasn't sure if
it was possible to leverage some small portion of that for my application.

They might include some default-dnd stuff, e.g. dragging text around. But
ususally, one has to do all sorts funky "I'm ineterested in this, but not
that"-registration stuff.

diez