Drag and Drop

Joel Byrd

I'm trying to create reusable drag and drop code. I've tried the
apparently popular script called "dom-drop.js" by Aaron Boodman, which
was recommended in the Sitepoint book, "DHTML Utopia: Modern Web Design
Using Javascript and DOM". However, there were a couple problems.
First, the example code that Sitepoint gave me (which used the
dom-drag.js script) didn't seem to really work with images. Second,
the script didn't work at all in Safari.

So, I did some googling and found this site:
http://www.walterzorn.com/dragdrop/dragdrop_e.htm
It looks pretty amazing, and it works well cross-browser. Can anyone
recommend the Javascript library this site offers for drag and drop?
Are there any know problems with it? Or, perhaps there are even better
libraries out there?

Preferably, I'd like an opinion from someone who knows what they're
talking about (e.g. Matt Kruse, Richard Cornford, etc.). Thanks in
advance.

Matt Kruse

Joel said:
http://www.walterzorn.com/dragdrop/dragdrop_e.htm
It looks pretty amazing, and it works well cross-browser. Can anyone
recommend the Javascript library this site offers for drag and drop?

I've used it. Worked well in my specific case, although I can't say how good
the coding is.

Check out http://developer.yahoo.net/yui/dragdrop/index.html also
Preferably, I'd like an opinion from someone who knows what they're
talking about (e.g. Matt Kruse, Richard Cornford, etc.).

heh, Richard might be amused by being grouped with me, and my name coming
first ;)

Richard Cornford

Matt said:
Joel Byrd wrote:

heh, Richard might be amused by being grouped with me, and
my name coming first ;)

:) Well, I'm British so deriving humour from the ironic is part of the
culture.

Richard.

Joel Byrd

I've used it. Worked well in my specific case, although I can't say how good
the coding is.

I've just downloaded the javascript file and started playing around
with implementing it. It is _incredibly_ easy to implement! Works
like magic so far. One thing I can't figure out is how to pass an
array of id's (or names) to the SET_DHTML() function. I emailed the
author about it but haven't heard from him yet. Maybe I'll just have
to tweak the code myself.

I learned about the Yahoo user interface tools from sitepoint. I went
to the yahoo site and it looked like some really good, useful stuff.
But, I had trouble implementing it - it could be that it's not
idiot-proof, and I'm an idiot, but...

Thanks for your comments.
heh, Richard might be amused by being grouped with me, and my name
coming first ;)

lol

TheBagbournes

Joel said:
I learned about the Yahoo user interface tools from sitepoint. I went
to the yahoo site and it looked like some really good, useful stuff.
But, I had trouble implementing it - it could be that it's not
idiot-proof, and I'm an idiot, but...

Persevere with it. It's well written, and pretty bug free. Use the
provided examples as templates. There is a good, active mailing list
which provides help.

It's also excellently documented with a Javadoc type tool for javascript.

We've ditched Dojo for Yahoo UI, we think with the Yahoo development
team behind it, it's the one to back.