Drag & Drop Sortable Lists with JavaScript and CSS in a IFRAME

arjenmeijer

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 11/29/2005 4:51 AM:
I am using the Drag & Drop Sortable Lists with javaScript and CSS
from http://tool-man.org/examples/sorting.html. It works beautifully
in a single page, see http://www.molca.com/kkoke.html.

However, if I load the page in a Iframe the list is not sortable.
The javascript gets stuck, see http://www.molca.com/kknotoke.html.

Try placing your page in a simple IFrame page without the redirections
and nothing else in the page. You will then start getting errors. But I
am not inclined to wade through 7 or 8 external files plus in page
script to find the problem.
I have searched the complete Internet, but I can not find a reference
to this particular problem.

<g> The "complete Internet"?

How long did it take you? I am considering a Search Engine and wonder
how long it would take to search the complete Internet <g>

Sorry, I couldn't resist the metaphoric description of searching the
"complete Internet"
What is the basic idea that a javascript in an iframe does not work?

Typically it occurs when you try to access or assume that the page is
the parent when it isn't and it throws off scope and variable issues.

arjenmeijer

Randy Webb schreef:
Typically it occurs when you try to access or assume that the page is
the parent when it isn't and it throws off scope and variable issues.

That is the problem. But what is the concept of NOT being the parent. How can I load a page with Javascript as daughter and still execute it? That is, the page in the Iframe is not the parent. But how does the Javascript know where to load the daughter script. Or, the script is in the daughter, so why isn't it default executed in the first place?

Arjen