Dreamweaver & CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by leo, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. leo

    leo Guest

    I am making a simple CSS. Just 3 boxes, with HEADER on top, CONTENT, which
    its height should flow when needed, and finally footer, which should follow
    immediately after CONTENT. However, both CONTENT and FOOTER follow
    immediately after HEADER, which cause them to overlap. Why?

    ..header {
    font-weight: bold;
    text-align: center;
    }

    ..content {
    width: 740px;
    border: thin dotted #0000FF;
    margin: 8;
    padding: 8;
    text-align: justify;
    position: absolute;
    left: 50%;
    margin-left: -374px;
    margin-top: 50px;
    }

    ..footer {
    font-style: italic;
    text-align: center;
    }
    leo, Sep 9, 2004

  2. leo

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Sep 9, 2004

  3. leo

    leo Guest

    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 06:24:05 GMT, leo <> declared
    > in alt.html:
    >
    >> However, both CONTENT and FOOTER follow
    >> immediately after HEADER, which cause them to overlap. Why?

    > <snip>
    >> .content {

    > <snip>
    >> position: absolute;

    > Read up on what position: absolute actually means.
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#absolute-positioning
    >
    > --
    > Mark Parnell
    > http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    > "Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004

    right.
    leo, Sep 9, 2004
  4. leo

    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 06:24:05 GMT, leo <> declared
    > in alt.html:
    >
    >> However, both CONTENT and FOOTER follow
    >> immediately after HEADER, which cause them to overlap. Why?

    > <snip>
    >> .content {

    > <snip>
    >> position: absolute;

    > Read up on what position: absolute actually means.
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#absolute-positioning
    >
    > --
    > Mark Parnell
    > http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    > "Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004

    Now I see that "position: absolute" breaks the flow of the boxes. My
    objective is to center the content box. Are there other solutions?
    leo, Sep 9, 2004
  5. leo

    rf Guest

    leo wrote:

    > "Mark Parnell" <> wrote:

    > > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 06:24:05 GMT, leo <> declared
    > > in alt.html:
    > >
    > >> However, both CONTENT and FOOTER follow
    > >> immediately after HEADER, which cause them to overlap. Why?

    > > <snip>
    > >> .content {

    > > <snip>
    > >> position: absolute;

    > > Read up on what position: absolute actually means.
    > > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#absolute-positioning

    > right.

    That is *not* the correct approach. It is like stabbing yourself and then
    applying a bandaid without removing the knife. It *will* fail totally when
    your viewer changes her font size. Try it for yourself.

    Remove all of the positioning stuff (as Mark implied) and let the browser
    flow the divs as it sees fit. The browser is quite capable of flowing
    information on the page, providing you don't interfeer with it.

    BTW it helps the flow of the conversation if you trim the irrelevant bits
    out of what you are replying to, like that rum&coke thing in Marks sig.
    Besides, I am currently imbibing in a quiet Chardonnay, it being the
    cocktail hour :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 9, 2004
  6. leo

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Sep 9, 2004
  7. leo

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:07:17 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:

    > Besides, I am currently imbibing in a quiet Chardonnay, it being the
    > cocktail hour :)

    Chardonnay doesn't make the keyboard as sticky as rum&coke?

    Mark Parnell, Sep 9, 2004
  8. leo

    rf Guest

    leo wrote:

    > Now I see that "position: absolute" breaks the flow of the boxes. My
    > objective is to center the content box. Are there other solutions?

    width: whatever; margin: auto;

    URL?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 9, 2004
  9. leo

    leo Guest

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    > leo wrote:
    >
    >> Now I see that "position: absolute" breaks the flow of the boxes. My
    >> objective is to center the content box. Are there other solutions?

    > width: whatever; margin: auto;
    >
    > URL?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    thanks. this does the trick.
    leo, Sep 9, 2004
  10. leo

    Els Guest

    leo wrote:

    > "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in message
    >> leo wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now I see that "position: absolute" breaks the flow of
    >>> the boxes. My objective is to center the content box. Are
    >>> there other solutions?

    >> width: whatever; margin: auto;
    >>

    > thanks. this does the trick.

    Not in WinIE5 :)
    http://locusmeus.com/html-css/centeringpage.html
    (substitute every instance of 'page' with 'block level
    element' ;-) )

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 9, 2004
  11. leo

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:09:28 +1000, Mark Parnell
    <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:07:17 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> Besides, I am currently imbibing in a quiet Chardonnay, it being the
    >> cocktail hour :)

    > Chardonnay doesn't make the keyboard as sticky as rum&coke?

    A nice martini here. Absolut, can't afford the Grey Goose currently.
    Neal, Sep 9, 2004
  12. leo

    rf Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:07:17 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Besides, I am currently imbibing in a quiet Chardonnay, it being the
    > > cocktail hour :)

    > Chardonnay doesn't make the keyboard as sticky as rum&coke?

    No, it's a dry Chardonnay. Not as much sucrose. Besides it does not *look*
    quite so bad as it dries clear.

    There have been several new rules introduced in the computer room recently.

    1) There is a very serious looking drinks coaster sitting on a desk return
    over that <--- way. It requires a conscious and very exercising swivel of
    the chair to reach.

    2) All drinks shall reside on said coaster whilst not in actual use.

    3) No drink is to be manoeuvred to within half a metre of any keyboard,
    especially during dinner parties. Standees shall remain quite distant.

    4) Whilst imbibing an aforementioned drink, and during the subsequent
    swallowing phase, the eyes are to be suitably downcast, avoiding all
    possibility of contact with any computer screen. To be absolutely sure the
    Television, on the odd chance that it may be displaying the Comedy Channel,
    is positioned over ----> there, to the back of the drinker.

    5) AWW is to be unsubscribed during any drinking activity within the
    computer room.

    We are down to only having to wash one KB per week. Looking good :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 9, 2004
  13. leo

    rf Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > A nice martini here. Absolut, can't afford the Grey Goose currently.

    Hmmm <checks headers> Oh, the berlin thing.

    You must be on our side of the planed Neal :)

    Unless you live in Californio where IIRC it's coctail hour for most of the
    day.
    rf, Sep 9, 2004
  14. leo

    rf Guest

    rf wrote:
    > Neal wrote:
    >
    > You must be on our side of the planed Neal :)

    Crikey. T. PlaneT

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 9, 2004
  15. leo

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:09:28 +1000, Mark Parnell
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:07:17 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> declared in alt.html:
    >>
    >>> Besides, I am currently imbibing in a quiet Chardonnay, it being the
    >>> cocktail hour :)

    >> Chardonnay doesn't make the keyboard as sticky as rum&coke?

    > A nice martini here. Absolut, can't afford the Grey Goose currently.

    Not relative then?

    I find after a few Absolut (mixed with anything) I float left, badly...

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Sep 9, 2004
  16. leo

    Toby Inkster Guest

    leo wrote:

    > My objective is to center the content box. Are there other solutions?

    width: 740px;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;

    Or even better:

    width: auto;
    margin-left: 2em;
    margin-right: 2em;

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Sep 9, 2004
  17. leo

    Toby Inkster Guest

    rf wrote:

    > It is like stabbing yourself and then applying a bandaid without
    > removing the knife. It *will* fail totally when your viewer changes her
    > font size. Try it for yourself.

    Applying a bandaid without removing the knife will fail totally when your

    Toby Inkster, Sep 9, 2004
  18. leo

    Els Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    >>> Chardonnay doesn't make the keyboard as sticky as
    >>> rum&coke?

    >> A nice martini here. Absolut, can't afford the Grey Goose
    >> currently.

    > Not relative then?
    >
    > I find after a few Absolut (mixed with anything) I float
    > left, badly...

    LOL!

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 9, 2004
  19. leo

    Els Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:07:17 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid>
    >> declared in alt.html:
    >>
    >> > Besides, I am currently imbibing in a quiet Chardonnay,
    >> > it being the cocktail hour :)

    >> Chardonnay doesn't make the keyboard as sticky as
    >> rum&coke?

    > No, it's a dry Chardonnay. Not as much sucrose. Besides it
    > does not *look* quite so bad as it dries clear.
    >
    > There have been several new rules introduced in the
    > computer room recently.
    >
    > 1) There is a very serious looking drinks coaster sitting
    > on a desk return over that <--- way. It requires a
    > conscious and very exercising swivel of the chair to reach.
    >
    > 2) All drinks shall reside on said coaster whilst not in
    > actual use.
    >
    > 3) No drink is to be manoeuvred to within half a metre of
    > any keyboard, especially during dinner parties. Standees
    > shall remain quite distant.
    >
    > 4) Whilst imbibing an aforementioned drink, and during the
    > subsequent swallowing phase, the eyes are to be suitably
    > downcast, avoiding all possibility of contact with any
    > computer screen. To be absolutely sure the Television, on
    > the odd chance that it may be displaying the Comedy
    > Channel, is positioned over ----> there, to the back of the
    > drinker.
    >
    > 5) AWW is to be unsubscribed during any drinking activity
    > within the computer room.
    >
    > We are down to only having to wash one KB per week. Looking
    > good :)

    ROFL!

    Crossposted this one to aww, hope you don't mind ;-)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 9, 2004
  20. leo

    Els Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > rf wrote:
    >
    >> It is like stabbing yourself and then applying a bandaid
    >> without removing the knife. It *will* fail totally when
    >> your viewer changes her font size. Try it for yourself.

    > Applying a bandaid without removing the knife will fail
    > totally when your viewer changes her font size?

    You just drank too much tea, Toby <g>

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/