Dreamweaver & CSS

leo

I am making a simple CSS. Just 3 boxes, with HEADER on top, CONTENT, which
its height should flow when needed, and finally footer, which should follow
immediately after CONTENT. However, both CONTENT and FOOTER follow
immediately after HEADER, which cause them to overlap. Why?

..header {
font-weight: bold;
text-align: center;
}

..content {
width: 740px;
border: thin dotted #0000FF;
margin: 8;
padding: 8;
text-align: justify;
position: absolute;
left: 50%;
margin-left: -374px;
margin-top: 50px;
}

..footer {
font-style: italic;
text-align: center;

rf

leo said:
right.

That is *not* the correct approach. It is like stabbing yourself and then
applying a bandaid without removing the knife. It *will* fail totally when
your viewer changes her font size. Try it for yourself.

Remove all of the positioning stuff (as Mark implied) and let the browser
flow the divs as it sees fit. The browser is quite capable of flowing
information on the page, providing you don't interfeer with it.

BTW it helps the flow of the conversation if you trim the irrelevant bits
out of what you are replying to, like that rum&coke thing in Marks sig.
Besides, I am currently imbibing in a quiet Chardonnay, it being the
cocktail hour :)

rf

leo said:
Now I see that "position: absolute" breaks the flow of the boxes. My
objective is to center the content box. Are there other solutions?

width: whatever; margin: auto;

URL?

rf

Mark said:
Chardonnay doesn't make the keyboard as sticky as rum&coke?

No, it's a dry Chardonnay. Not as much sucrose. Besides it does not *look*
quite so bad as it dries clear.

There have been several new rules introduced in the computer room recently.

1) There is a very serious looking drinks coaster sitting on a desk return
over that <--- way. It requires a conscious and very exercising swivel of
the chair to reach.

2) All drinks shall reside on said coaster whilst not in actual use.

3) No drink is to be manoeuvred to within half a metre of any keyboard,
especially during dinner parties. Standees shall remain quite distant.

4) Whilst imbibing an aforementioned drink, and during the subsequent
swallowing phase, the eyes are to be suitably downcast, avoiding all
possibility of contact with any computer screen. To be absolutely sure the
Television, on the odd chance that it may be displaying the Comedy Channel,
is positioned over ----> there, to the back of the drinker.

5) AWW is to be unsubscribed during any drinking activity within the
computer room.

We are down to only having to wash one KB per week. Looking good :)

rf

Neal said:
A nice martini here. Absolut, can't afford the Grey Goose currently.

Hmmm <checks headers> Oh, the berlin thing.

You must be on our side of the planed Neal :)

Unless you live in Californio where IIRC it's coctail hour for most of the
day.

SpaceGirl

Neal said:
A nice martini here. Absolut, can't afford the Grey Goose currently.

Not relative then?

I find after a few Absolut (mixed with anything) I float left, badly...

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Toby Inkster

leo said:
My objective is to center the content box. Are there other solutions?

width: 740px;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;

Or even better:

width: auto;
margin-left: 2em;
margin-right: 2em;

Toby Inkster

rf said:
It is like stabbing yourself and then applying a bandaid without
removing the knife. It *will* fail totally when your viewer changes her
font size. Try it for yourself.

Applying a bandaid without removing the knife will fail totally when your
viewer changes her font size?

Els

rf said:
[...]

ROFL!

Crossposted this one to aww, hope you don't mind ;-)