drop down list problems

SAL

Hello,
is there a way to get this webcontrol to behave more like its winform
cousin?
In a winform dropdown, you can set the SelectedIndex to -1 and no items will
be showing in the drop list. This doesn't seem to work with the web control.
This bring up the issue of the first item in the list being displayed after
adding items to the drop down. However, you cause the SelectedIndexChanged
event you'd have to select a different item and then come back to the first
item to get the selectedindexchanged to fire for the first item in the list.
Is there a way around these couple of issues? I'm very new to ASP.NET stuff.

Thanks

David Wier

I'd suggest to also set your 'value' to -1, especially if queries using the
items are based on a numeric value