Drop Down List vrs Z-Order

Richard Myers

Hello

I have a problem in that my dhtml/css drop down menu layers will not, no
matter what z-order setting i choose, display over top of a asp.net
webcontrol drop down list.

I ve Googled up on the problem and it appears this is by design? Is this
true and if so what dumb ass limitation/oversight made it so?

TIA
Richard

Martin Honnen

Richard said:
I have a problem in that my dhtml/css drop down menu layers will not, no
matter what z-order setting i choose, display over top of a asp.net
webcontrol drop down list.

I ve Googled up on the problem and it appears this is by design? Is this
true and if so what dumb ass limitation/oversight made it so?

I think of the current browsers only IE has that problem, it is caused
by the HTML select control being a windowed control meaning it is not
drawn by the browser. You have the same problem in most browser with
applets or plugins which are usually also drawn on top of the normal
page content.
Only workaround for IE is to use client-side scripting to hide the
select as needed when you want to show other content on top of it.