DVD recognition

deauville

Wxp with SP2, recently renewed mother and hard drive (don't ask!) with a 5yr
old dvd burner peviousy working with moderate success with Nero6. Installed
Nero7trial and burned 2 dvd's, upgraded to Nero8. NOW the problem! Drive will
recognise genuine pre-recorded DVD's and CD's and some home recorded discs
but, whenever I insert any blank media and open 'properties' for the drive I
get the msg 'insert disc in drive'. Before I attack the machine with a hammer
or buy a new burner does anyone have any ideas on what I should try first.
I've checked the driver applcation and it's up to date and the machine tells
me the device is working - IT LIES!

Craig

deauville said:
Wxp with SP2, recently renewed mother and hard drive (don't ask!) with a
5yr
old dvd burner peviousy working with moderate success with Nero6.
Installed
Nero7trial and burned 2 dvd's, upgraded to Nero8. NOW the problem! Drive
will
recognise genuine pre-recorded DVD's and CD's and some home recorded discs
but, whenever I insert any blank media and open 'properties' for the drive
get the msg 'insert disc in drive'. Before I attack the machine with a
hammer
or buy a new burner does anyone have any ideas on what I should try first.
I've checked the driver applcation and it's up to date and the machine
tells
me the device is working - IT LIES!

Can you still burn DVDs with Nero? Windows XP on its own has no ability to
write to DVDs without additional software (like Nero, Roxio, etc.) so
Windows XP will not be able to handle a blank DVD-R (or +R or RW).