Dynamic DataGrid

Guest

I have been trying for the last two weeks to display a dynamic DataGrid. The
data that I'm pulling from a SQL Server DB will have whole columns that will
be either NULL or 0. I want to display only the fields that have actual data
in them and either not display or hide the columns that have NULL or 0
values. As an example, one page may need to display a total of 5 columns and
another page may need to display three columns based on the product category
the user chooses. I have done this in classic ASP, but I can't figure out
how to do it with the DataGrid and ASP.NET.

The code I have so far looks like this.

Dim strFamily as String
strFamily = Request.QueryString("fam")
Dim strConnection as String, sqlConn as SQLConnection
strFamily = Request.QueryString("fam")
strConnection = ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("ConnectionString")
sqlConn = New SqlConnection(strConnection)

Dim MyDataAdapter as SQLDataAdapter, MyDataSet as New DataSet
MyDataAdapter = New SQLDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM Items WHERE Part = '" &
Request.QueryString("part") & "'", strConnection)

MyDataAdapter.Fill(MyDataSet, "Items")

Dim i as Integer

'To navigate through the records.
For i = 0 To MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns.Count - 1
Dim objbc As New BoundColumn()
objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns(i).ColumnName
objbc.HeaderText = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns(i).ColumnName

If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns("Part").ColumnName Then
objbc.Visible = False
End If
If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns("Footnote").ColumnName Then
objbc.Visible = False
End If
If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Colum("Packaged").ColumnNameThen
objbc.Visible = False
End If
If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Column("PkgQuantity").ColumnNameThen
objbc.Visible = False
End If
If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns("PrintName").ColumnName Then
objbc.Visible = False
End If

dgItemDetail.Columns.Add(objbc)
dgItemDetail.DataSource = MyDataSet.Tables(0)
dgItemDetail.DataBind()
Next 'i

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm already losing my hair and the last
few days it hasn't been getting any better!

tom pester

Hi,

This code works fine. Your reasoning was goed but the details were no good?

I used the Northwind db to test the code.

<%@ Page Language="VB" %>

<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data.SqlClient" %>
<%@ Import Namespace="System.Data" %>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<script runat="server">

Dim strFamily As String
strFamily = Request.QueryString("fam")
Dim strConnection As String, sqlConn As SqlConnection
strFamily = Request.QueryString("fam")
strConnection = Application("connNW")
sqlConn = New SqlConnection(strConnection)

Dim MyDataAdapter As SqlDataAdapter
Dim MyDataSet As New DataSet
MyDataAdapter = New SqlDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM Products", strConnection)

MyDataAdapter.Fill(MyDataSet, "Items")

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns.Count - 1

Dim objbc As New BoundColumn()

objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns(i).ColumnName
objbc.HeaderText = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns(i).ColumnName

If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns("ProductName").ColumnName
Then
objbc.Visible = False
End If
If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns("SupplierID").ColumnName
Then
objbc.Visible = False
End If

dgItemDetail.Columns.Add(objbc)

Next

'Put that databind column out of the loop! You only need to call
it once
dgItemDetail.DataSource = MyDataSet.Tables(0)
dgItemDetail.DataBind()

End Sub
</script>

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:DataGrid runat="server" ID="dgItemDetail">
</asp:DataGrid>
</form>

Let me know if you have any more questions...

Cheers,
Tom Pester

Guest

Hi Tom,

First of all, I would like to apologize for my other post. The changeover
from classic ASP to ASP.NET has been frustrating so far to say the least.
Thanks for your reply.

I have applied the changes that you recommended and we are getting close. I
can see in the code where my problem is. I am wanting to generate columns
dynamically based on if the value of a column is NULL or 0. When I display a
DataGrid on this page, sometimes I may need to display 3 columns of data and
sometimes I may need to display 6 columns, depending on what product the user
chooses. If the value of a column is NULL, all the items in the product line
will be NULL. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this in a DataGrid
yet.

Thanks again,

Joe

tom pester

You have all the ingredients to make it work and I ran your code against
Northwind.

Can you be more specific where it goes wrong? Maybe paste your code again?

Cheers,
Tom Pester

Sparky Arbuckle

This sounds like a perfect candidate for ItemDataBound. Or you can do
what I'm currently doing and write a function that customizes and fills
a dataset accordingly.

Guest

I think that my problem is in this code.

If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns("Description3").ColumnName
Then
objbc.Visible = False
End If
If objbc.DataField = MyDataSet.Tables(0).Columns("Description4").ColumnName
Then
objbc.Visible = False
End If

These columns do not show in the DataGrid, but I think that I'm needing to
check for a NULL value first instead of calling the Column by name ex.
"Description3".

I think I need something like this pseudocode.

Start Loop

If Column ISNULL Then
Don't display the column
Else If there is something besides a NULL value Then
Display the column
End If

Loop

This is what I can't figure out how to do.

Thx,

Joe

Sparky Arbuckle

Dim dsRowCount as Integer = ds.Tables("DataTable").Rows.Count()
Dim strFieldName as string =
ds.Tables("DataTable").Rows(i)("FieldName")
ds.Tables("DataTable").Columns.Add("NewFieldName")
Dim i as Integer = 0

FOR i = 0 to dsRowCount - 1
If strFieldName = "" Then
ds.Tables("DataTable").Rows(i)("NewFieldName") = "A"
Else
ds.Tables("DataTable").Rows(i)("NewFieldName") = "B"
End If
Next i

Return ds.Tables("DataTable").DefaultView

Hopefully this can get you started with the logic. This is a longer way
to do it I am sure, but you will learn the in's and out's of the
problem and maybe force yourself to learn ItemDataBound!

tom pester

Hmmm I'm a right in stating the problem like this :

If the dataset looks like this

Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4
1 NULL 2 2
9 NULL 6 NULL
5 NULL 3 NULL

I want a datagrid that looks like this

Col1 Col3 Col4
1 2 2
9 6 NULL
5 3 NULL

Or do you want to also hide Col4 ? Or does a column containe either all values
for its columns or all NULL values

Before I start coding I want to know the poblem exactly.

Cheers,
Tom Peste