ear's war's and exploded directories

Greg Williams

Im a developer - new to java, but not to my company - working on a
project with a brand new lead. One of the first things he did was
change the way we deploy in our development environment (all our config
and build files are in version control, so he controls the team's dev
enviroments). Right now it takes me ~90 seconds to see a change on my
web server after i've begun compiling (compile, build process, etc).
I've confronted him about this and he just says: "java is different than
CGI, you actually have to compile it." Sure, but from what i understand
(what I've been reading, and have been hearing from friends with years
of experience in j2ee) ear files are generally for deployment and not
for development. one friend said he waits under 10 seconds to see his
changes. I want to get started figuring out how to change weblogic's
configuration and change the way ant build's (eventhough i have very
limited experience in this technology). I just wanted to get some
feedback before i began. Weblogic is on my computer, i assume that i
want to configure it to use exploded directories. would i change my ant
build file? would using ant take too long even with this? should i
just develop and compile on the command line within the directory (where
web logic is looking)?

I have a technical background. So, if it is not possible to speed up my
development - eventhough I'm no expert in java i think i'd understand a
reasonable explaination (other than "java is different than CGI").

-greg

Joe Pribele

gwilliams1977 said:
[...]

I don't know anything about weblogic 90 seconds is to long. I am using
websphere and it takes 1 second. I compile on my maching and copy the
compilied files to the server.

You probably have to change your ant builds default target. more than
likely your ant is setup to compile the files first than make an ear.
all you need it to do is compile to the right directory.

joe