    ..navmain A { color: green; }
    ..navselected { color: blue; }
    , Jan 10, 2006

  2. Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Can someone shed some light on why the below displays in green in my
    > browser? Doesn't the anchor's class override its parent div tag's
    > class???

    <snip>

    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html#specificity

    --
    Mark Parnell
    Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:
    Mark Parnell, Jan 10, 2006

    Uhhh, thanks for responding to my "spout". BTW, do you wear a cape
    when you respond to posts? That whole saving humanity thing, wow, you
    must be a super hero. So what's your super power? Do you have a
    golden lasso to round-up people that ask inferior questions?
    , Jan 21, 2006
  4. Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    <> spouted in alt.html:

    > Uhhh, thanks for responding to my "spout".

    You're welcome. You asked a question, I pointed you to the relevant part
    of the specifications that explains the behaviour in question. If you
    still don't understand, feel free to ask further questions.

    And please read the link in my .sig carefully.

    Mark Parnell, Jan 22, 2006

    And to follow up, first and foremost I thank you for your help. It was
    given free of charge and it really helped me out. I have no right to be
    anything but grateful. I just can't figure you out. In your two posts
    I've seen the following comments:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    > <> spouted in alt.html:

    What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
    to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
    that deserved that?

    > And please read the link in my .sig carefully.
    > Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:
    > http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

    In your second post I'm going to assume your closing effect was
    unintentional. You instructed me to read your ".sig" (which I guess is
    hip newgroup lingo) that told me this was my last warning. After I
    chuckled a bit at the threat I proceeded to open what I assumed was
    going to be the holy grail of links. Lo and behold you were right: that
    was an amazing discourse about the all important use of greater signs
    in replies. Greater than signs? Are you kidding me? Are you so
    absorbed into your newsgroup life that this is your crusade?

    So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great
    guy trying to make the Internet a better place?
    , Jan 23, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great
    > guy trying to make the Internet a better place?

    Are you a dick all the time?
    Travis Newbury, Jan 23, 2006
  7. Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
    > to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
    > that deserved that?

    It's just the attribution line that my newsreader inserts when I reply.
    Yes I have customised it, but it wasn't intended to offend, and is not
    specific to replies to your posts. Have a look at any of my other posts
    from the last month or so, and you will see the same thing.

    Anyway, I have replaced "spouted" with "declared". Better?

    > You instructed me to read your ".sig" (which I guess is
    > hip newgroup lingo)

    Short for signature. The bit after the "-- " at the bottom of my post,
    as you worked out.

    > that told me this was my last warning.

    It's a generic warning to anyone using Google Groups. It's my last-ditch
    effort before implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    > that
    > was an amazing discourse about the all important use of greater signs
    > in replies.

    It seems you missed the point of the page in question. It is simply
    instructions on how to quote the relevant parts of the post you are
    replying to in GG. Most newsreaders - and GG - generally use greater
    than signs to indicate quoted text, though there are various other
    characters that are also commonly accepted.

    > Greater than signs? Are you kidding me? Are you so
    > absorbed into your newsgroup life that this is your crusade?

    Just trying to educate GG users on how to use GG properly.

    > So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great
    > guy

    I do my best. :)

    > trying to make the Internet a better place?

    You see, there is the problem. This is Usenet, not the Internet.
    Unfortunately GG blurs that distinction. But the fact that you are using
    a web-based interface to access it doesn't change the fact that this is
    a Usenet newsgroup, and Usenet has its own set of accepted rules and
    conventions. Quoting the relevant parts of the message you are replying
    to is one of them.

    Mark Parnell, Jan 23, 2006
  8. On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:11:43 +1100, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, <>
    > declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
    >> to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
    >> that deserved that?

    > It's just the attribution line that my newsreader inserts when I reply.
    > Yes I have customised it, but it wasn't intended to offend, and is not
    > specific to replies to your posts. Have a look at any of my other posts
    > from the last month or so, and you will see the same thing.
    >
    > Anyway, I have replaced "spouted" with "declared". Better?
    >
    >> You instructed me to read your ".sig" (which I guess is hip newgroup
    >> lingo)

    > Short for signature. The bit after the "-- " at the bottom of my post, as
    > you worked out.
    >
    >> that told me this was my last warning.

    > It's a generic warning to anyone using Google Groups. It's my last-ditch
    > effort before implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    >
    >> that
    >> was an amazing discourse about the all important use of greater signs in
    >> replies.

    > It seems you missed the point of the page in question. It is simply
    > instructions on how to quote the relevant parts of the post you are
    > replying to in GG. Most newsreaders - and GG - generally use greater than
    > signs to indicate quoted text, though there are various other characters
    > that are also commonly accepted.
    >
    >> Greater than signs? Are you kidding me? Are you so absorbed into your
    >> newsgroup life that this is your crusade?

    > Just trying to educate GG users on how to use GG properly.
    >
    >> So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great guy

    > I do my best. :)
    >
    >> trying to make the Internet a better place?

    > You see, there is the problem. This is Usenet, not the Internet.
    > Unfortunately GG blurs that distinction. But the fact that you are using a
    > web-based interface to access it doesn't change the fact that this is a
    > Usenet newsgroup, and Usenet has its own set of accepted rules and
    > conventions. Quoting the relevant parts of the message you are replying to
    > is one of them.

    A hat tip to you for the effort, Mark. But I'm sure it fell on deaf
    Google-befuddled ears. Eyes. No, those would be blind. Well, you know
    what I mean...

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 24, 2006
  9. Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > A hat tip to you for the effort, Mark. But I'm sure it fell on deaf
    > Google-befuddled ears. Eyes. No, those would be blind. Well, you know
    > what I mean...

    Indeed I do. :)

    I still believe that the majority of GG users are simply uninformed,
    rather than deliberately disruptive. I'm slowly leaning towards giving
    up though - it's definitely an uphill battle. September is back with a
    vengeance...

    Mark Parnell, Jan 24, 2006
  10. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <43d562ae$0$3536$>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
    > > to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
    > > that deserved that?

    > Anyway, I have replaced "spouted" with "declared". Better?

    OP seems to think a reply in NG is like a very personal snail
    mail letter! Anyway, you are a gentleman, Marcus. Now change it
    again to "said" - shorter and without the slightest whiff of
    humour to it...

    > > that told me this was my last warning.

    > It's a generic warning to anyone using Google Groups. It's my last-ditch
    > effort before implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Oh, I see! Now that explains why old Blinky was a bit thingy
    about wanting to correct a guy who referred to a NG as a site...
    If I had known he was into this stuff (understanding and using
    ngs right) I would not have kidded him so much...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 24, 2006

    Ok, final observations. Mr. Parnell is a pretty good guy after all. I
    violated some NG club rules and instead of blasting me with both
    barrels I got a tap on the wrist.

    I read blinky's netiquette, I'll try to be a better netitizen in the
    future. But one recommendation to the initiated: don't belittle the
    newbies. Granted, there are posters out there that have little or no
    horsepower and yes, there may be no hope for them. But for the rest,
    just remember a little patience and compasion.

    That's it. I'm heading off to do a few google newsgroup searches.
    Topics? Usenet etiquette and the latest newsgroup readers. The last
    reader I tried was Agent a few years ago. I never liked it - that's why
    I embraced the dreaded G2 and landed in this thread :>

    peace out
    mark
    , Jan 24, 2006
  12. Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Ok, final observations. Mr. Parnell is a pretty good guy after all.

    Why thank you sir.

    > I read blinky's netiquette, I'll try to be a better netitizen in the
    > future.

    You're still not quoting the message you are replying to...

    http://40tude.com/dialog/

    Mark Parnell, Jan 24, 2006
  13. In article
    <43d5c316$0$3553$>,
    Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    > Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Ok, final observations. Mr. Parnell is a pretty good guy after all.

    > Why thank you sir.
    >
    > > I read blinky's netiquette, I'll try to be a better netitizen in the
    > > future.

    > You're still not quoting the message you are replying to...

    That may have been a lone statement. Let's give marksisson the benefit
    of the doubt. He said you were a 'pretty good guy after all'. We'll give
    him both barrels on the *next* post ;-) if it's unambiguous.
    Encouragement is important with the googlers who seem to be getting it.
    Not many do.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jan 24, 2006
  14. On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:52:27 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > In article
    > <43d5c316$0$3553$>,
    > Mark Parnell <> wrote:
    >
    >> Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
    >> <> declared in alt.html:
    >>
    >> > Ok, final observations. Mr. Parnell is a pretty good guy after all.

    >> Why thank you sir.
    >>
    >> > I read blinky's netiquette, I'll try to be a better netitizen in the
    >> > future.

    >> You're still not quoting the message you are replying to...

    > That may have been a lone statement. Let's give marksisson the benefit of
    > the doubt. He said you were a 'pretty good guy after all'. We'll give him

    He's had three generations of posting to learn how to do it. Being
    nicey-nice and not getting it is still not getting it. And he's laughing
    at those that have been sucked in by nicey-nice.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 24, 2006
  15. Spartanicus Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:11:43 +1100, Mark Parnell wrote:

    [huge snip]

    Followed by 3 lines of new content.

    I'm not sure what is more irritating, the average GG user, or people who
    don't snip.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Jan 24, 2006
  16. In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > He's had three generations of posting to learn how to do it. Being
    > nicey-nice and not getting it is still not getting it. And he's laughing
    > at those that have been sucked in by nicey-nice.

    Damn! And I was getting all warm and fuzzy. Do they not read this stuff?
    Surely some googler[1] will be enlightened. Won't they? If so, the
    thread is worth it 'cause I'm an optham... optomet... optimist.

    [1] anyone viewing this post in a web browser and using google.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Jan 24, 2006
  17. Els Guest

    Spartanicus wrote:

    > I'm not sure what is more irritating, the average GG user, or people who
    > don't snip.

    That's easy: the GG users are far more irritating. They don't have a
    clue whatsoever, and are at least 2 steps away from correct posting
    methods. The non-snippers have the first step out of the way already.

    (btw - I don't think Blinky is a non-snipper - sometimes it's just
    difficult to decide which bit has to stay and which can be snipped,
    and sometimes you just forget)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jan 24, 2006
  18. On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:14:41 +0000, Spartanicus wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:11:43 +1100, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > [huge snip]
    >
    > Followed by 3 lines of new content.
    >
    > I'm not sure what is more irritating, the average GG user, or people who
    > don't snip.

    Be sure to let us know if you decide.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 24, 2006
  19. On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 00:19:46 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >
    >> He's had three generations of posting to learn how to do it. Being
    >> nicey-nice and not getting it is still not getting it. And he's
    >> laughing at those that have been sucked in by nicey-nice.

    > Damn! And I was getting all warm and fuzzy. Do they not read this stuff?

    Reading comprehsnsions doesn't seem to be their long suit. :)

    > Surely some googler[1] will be enlightened. Won't they? If so, the

    Probably not.

    > thread is worth it 'cause I'm an optham... optomet... optimist.

    There's a pony under there somewhere. :)

    > [1] anyone viewing this post in a web browser and using google.

    ....please don't post. Just read. It's what you do best.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 24, 2006
  20. Jose Guest

    > You're still not quoting the message you are replying to...

    Yanno, sometimes a reply is =not= to a message, or a phrase, but to the
    whole gestalt.

    Jose
    Jose, Jan 24, 2006