Easy CSS Question but I don't get it!!

marksisson

Can someone shed some light on why the below displays in green in my
browser? Doesn't the anchor's class override its parent div tag's
class???

TEST.HTM
===================
<head>
<link rel='stylesheet' href='TestStyles.css' type='text/css'>
</head>
<a class="navselected" href="abc.htm">Why not blue?</a>

TESTSTYLES.CSS
===================
..navmain A { color: green; }
..navselected { color: blue; }

marksisson

Uhhh, thanks for responding to my "spout". BTW, do you wear a cape
when you respond to posts? That whole saving humanity thing, wow, you
must be a super hero. So what's your super power? Do you have a
golden lasso to round-up people that ask inferior questions?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
Uhhh, thanks for responding to my "spout".

You're welcome. You asked a question, I pointed you to the relevant part
of the specifications that explains the behaviour in question. If you
still don't understand, feel free to ask further questions.

And please read the link in my .sig carefully.

marksisson

And to follow up, first and foremost I thank you for your help. It was
given free of charge and it really helped me out. I have no right to be
anything but grateful. I just can't figure you out. In your two posts
I've seen the following comments:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
<[email protected]> spouted in alt.html:

What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
that deserved that?
And please read the link in my .sig carefully.
Att. Google Groups users - this is your last warning:

In your second post I'm going to assume your closing effect was
unintentional. You instructed me to read your ".sig" (which I guess is
hip newgroup lingo) that told me this was my last warning. After I
chuckled a bit at the threat I proceeded to open what I assumed was
going to be the holy grail of links. Lo and behold you were right: that
was an amazing discourse about the all important use of greater signs
in replies. Greater than signs? Are you kidding me? Are you so
absorbed into your newsgroup life that this is your crusade?

So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great
guy trying to make the Internet a better place?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
What was the purpose of this preface? It contained no substance except
to describe me as someone that spouts off. What did I write in my post
that deserved that?

It's just the attribution line that my newsreader inserts when I reply.
Yes I have customised it, but it wasn't intended to offend, and is not
specific to replies to your posts. Have a look at any of my other posts
from the last month or so, and you will see the same thing.

Anyway, I have replaced "spouted" with "declared". Better?
You instructed me to read your ".sig" (which I guess is
hip newgroup lingo)

Short for signature. The bit after the "-- " at the bottom of my post,
as you worked out.
that told me this was my last warning.

It's a generic warning to anyone using Google Groups. It's my last-ditch
effort before implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
that
was an amazing discourse about the all important use of greater signs
in replies.

It seems you missed the point of the page in question. It is simply
instructions on how to quote the relevant parts of the post you are
replying to in GG. Most newsreaders - and GG - generally use greater
than signs to indicate quoted text, though there are various other
characters that are also commonly accepted.
Greater than signs? Are you kidding me? Are you so
absorbed into your newsgroup life that this is your crusade?

Just trying to educate GG users on how to use GG properly.
So Mark, did I just get this all wrong? Are you really just a great
guy

I do my best. :)
trying to make the Internet a better place?

You see, there is the problem. This is Usenet, not the Internet.
Unfortunately GG blurs that distinction. But the fact that you are using
a web-based interface to access it doesn't change the fact that this is
a Usenet newsgroup, and Usenet has its own set of accepted rules and
conventions. Quoting the relevant parts of the message you are replying
to is one of them.

Blinky the Shark

[...]

A hat tip to you for the effort, Mark. But I'm sure it fell on deaf
Google-befuddled ears. Eyes. No, those would be blind. Well, you know
what I mean...

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Blinky the Shark
A hat tip to you for the effort, Mark. But I'm sure it fell on deaf
Google-befuddled ears. Eyes. No, those would be blind. Well, you know
what I mean...

Indeed I do. :)

I still believe that the majority of GG users are simply uninformed,
rather than deliberately disruptive. I'm slowly leaning towards giving
up though - it's definitely an uphill battle. September is back with a
vengeance...

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,

Anyway, I have replaced "spouted" with "declared". Better?

OP seems to think a reply in NG is like a very personal snail
mail letter! Anyway, you are a gentleman, Marcus. Now change it
again to "said" - shorter and without the slightest whiff of
humour to it...
It's a generic warning to anyone using Google Groups. It's my last-ditch
effort before implementing http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Oh, I see! Now that explains why old Blinky was a bit thingy
about wanting to correct a guy who referred to a NG as a site...
If I had known he was into this stuff (understanding and using
ngs right) I would not have kidded him so much...

marksisson

Ok, final observations. Mr. Parnell is a pretty good guy after all. I
violated some NG club rules and instead of blasting me with both
barrels I got a tap on the wrist.

I read blinky's netiquette, I'll try to be a better netitizen in the
future. But one recommendation to the initiated: don't belittle the
newbies. Granted, there are posters out there that have little or no
horsepower and yes, there may be no hope for them. But for the rest,
just remember a little patience and compasion.

That's it. I'm heading off to do a few google newsgroup searches.
Topics? Usenet etiquette and the latest newsgroup readers. The last
reader I tried was Agent a few years ago. I never liked it - that's why
I embraced the dreaded G2 and landed in this thread :>

peace out
mark

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,
Ok, final observations. Mr. Parnell is a pretty good guy after all.

Why thank you sir.
I read blinky's netiquette, I'll try to be a better netitizen in the
future.

You're still not quoting the message you are replying to...
The last
reader I tried was Agent a few years ago. I never liked it - that's why
I embraced the dreaded G2 and landed in this thread :>

http://40tude.com/dialog/

Leonard Blaisdell

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity,

Why thank you sir.

You're still not quoting the message you are replying to...

That may have been a lone statement. Let's give marksisson the benefit
of the doubt. He said you were a 'pretty good guy after all'. We'll give
him both barrels on the *next* post ;-) if it's unambiguous.
Encouragement is important with the googlers who seem to be getting it.
Not many do.

leo

Blinky the Shark

That may have been a lone statement. Let's give marksisson the benefit of
the doubt. He said you were a 'pretty good guy after all'. We'll give him

He's had three generations of posting to learn how to do it. Being
nicey-nice and not getting it is still not getting it. And he's laughing
at those that have been sucked in by nicey-nice.

Spartanicus

[huge snip]

Followed by 3 lines of new content.

I'm not sure what is more irritating, the average GG user, or people who
don't snip.

Leonard Blaisdell

Blinky the Shark said:
He's had three generations of posting to learn how to do it. Being
nicey-nice and not getting it is still not getting it. And he's laughing
at those that have been sucked in by nicey-nice.

Damn! And I was getting all warm and fuzzy. Do they not read this stuff?
Surely some googler[1] will be enlightened. Won't they? If so, the
thread is worth it 'cause I'm an optham... optomet... optimist.

[1] anyone viewing this post in a web browser and using google.

leo

Els

Spartanicus said:
I'm not sure what is more irritating, the average GG user, or people who
don't snip.

That's easy: the GG users are far more irritating. They don't have a
clue whatsoever, and are at least 2 steps away from correct posting
methods. The non-snippers have the first step out of the way already.

(btw - I don't think Blinky is a non-snipper - sometimes it's just
difficult to decide which bit has to stay and which can be snipped,
and sometimes you just forget)

Blinky the Shark

[huge snip]

Followed by 3 lines of new content.

I'm not sure what is more irritating, the average GG user, or people who
don't snip.

Be sure to let us know if you decide.

Blinky the Shark

Damn! And I was getting all warm and fuzzy. Do they not read this stuff?

Reading comprehsnsions doesn't seem to be their long suit. :)
Surely some googler[1] will be enlightened. Won't they? If so, the

Probably not.
thread is worth it 'cause I'm an optham... optomet... optimist.

There's a pony under there somewhere. :)
[1] anyone viewing this post in a web browser and using google.

....please don't post. Just read. It's what you do best.

Jose

You're still not quoting the message you are replying to...

Yanno, sometimes a reply is =not= to a message, or a phrase, but to the
whole gestalt.

Jose