Eclipse 3.3 on AIX

Discussion in 'Java' started by marc.stroebel@kreditwerk.de, Oct 1, 2007.

    I'm trying to run eclipse on an AIX machine. After start only the
    splash screen comes up. The logfile shows the following error. Java
    and Motif are present, CDE is running... Where's the problem?

    Best regards,

    Marc

    !SESSION 2007-10-01 10:40:36.173
    eclipse.buildId=I20070625-1500
    java.fullversion=J2RE 1.4.2 IBM AIX build ca142-20060421 (SR5) (JIT
    enabled: jitc)
    BootLoader constants: OS=aix, ARCH=ppc, WS=motif, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os aix -ws motif -arch ppc

    !ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2007-10-01 10:40:39.164
    !MESSAGE Application error
    !STACK 1
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no swt-motif-3346 or swt-motif in
    swt.library.path, java.library.path or the jar file
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:219)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:151)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.C.<clinit>(C.java:21)
    at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.<clinit>(Device.java:115)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createDisplay(Workbench.java:
    482)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createDisplay(PlatformUI.java:161)
    at
    org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.createDisplay(IDEApplication.java:
    133)
    at
    org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:
    86)
    at
    org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:
    153)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
    106)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:
    76)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
    363)
    at
    org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:
    176)
    at
    85)
    at
    58)
    at
    60)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:504)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:443)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1169)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1144)

    , Oct 1, 2007

  2. Rogan Dawes Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to run eclipse on an AIX machine. After start only the
    > splash screen comes up. The logfile shows the following error. Java
    > and Motif are present, CDE is running... Where's the problem?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Marc
    >
    > !SESSION 2007-10-01 10:40:36.173
    > eclipse.buildId=I20070625-1500
    > java.fullversion=J2RE 1.4.2 IBM AIX build ca142-20060421 (SR5) (JIT
    > enabled: jitc)
    > BootLoader constants: OS=aix, ARCH=ppc, WS=motif, NL=en_US
    > Command-line arguments: -os aix -ws motif -arch ppc
    >
    > !ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2007-10-01 10:40:39.164
    > !MESSAGE Application error
    > !STACK 1
    > java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no swt-motif-3346 or swt-motif in
    > swt.library.path, java.library.path or the jar file

    You do not have the SWT libraries that are required for Eclipse. These
    are the IBM/Eclipse analog of Sun's Swing libraries. However, SWT is not
    nearly as cross platform as Swing, which means that you need platform
    specific implementations of SWT.

    i.e. in your case, you need an AIX(PPC)/MOTIF incarnation of SWT, it seems.

    Rogan

    Rogan Dawes, Oct 1, 2007

    > You do not have the SWT libraries that are required forEclipse.

    i used the aix package from eclipse.org. There's a swt.jar included in
    the eclipse/plugins folder. The platform specific librarys swt-
    motif***.a are also there in the configuration folder. Do I have to
    set additional eclipse classpaths ? On Linux systems the eclipse
    package works out of the box.

    Best regards,

    Marc

    , Oct 2, 2007