Eclipse error: Specified VM install not found: type Standard VM, name j2re1.4.2_08

HeatherB

Windows XP + Eclipse 3.0.2 + ant 1.6.5 + tomcat 5.x

After attempting to upgrade a global project to its most recent code
base in CVS, we now are suffering from the following compile failure
(using ant compile within eclipse):

Specified VM install not found: type Standard VM, name j2re1.4.2_08

We are using j2sdk1.4.2_08 installed under
c:\program files\java\j2sdk1.4.2_08

When the SDK was installed it also installed j2re under
c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_08
but we don't have any env variables or path pointing here (JAVA_HOME
points to SDK, PATH point to SDK\bin).

I've tried replacing all references to j2re with j2sdk (using a binary
replace utility) underneath our eclipse workspace directory and
underneath the eclipse installation directory but this error keeps
coming back.

Also followed suggestions to blow away all .launch configurations and
recreate (which I did even though they didn't have any reference to
j2re).

I also tried to run with command line arg -clean (suggested for same
problem under Eclipse 3.1.0 but I don't think 3.0.2 seems to understand
this argument).

Is there else something taken from the window registry (that I also
need to clean out specifically)? Any other locations to check for
cached parameters? Any other suggestions?