Eclipse project version tag retrieval

Al

Hi,
I am creating a web application with Eclipse 3.1.1 and Java. I use
JBOSS AS to deploy and execute the application itself (the .ear package
created with eclipse). What I want is to set the project version and
build date so that I can retrieve it programatically in my code. I
don't want to do that hardcoded into a file but through an Eclipse
option or CVS tag retrieval.
I've noticed that JBoss itself uses a file called version.properties
with the values I want hardcoded (but probably the file was the result
of a building output) and after that you can use org.jboss.Version
class to get all those parametres:

Version ver = Version.getInstance();
ver.getCvsTag()
ver.getBuildDate()

any ideas about doing that in my project?
Thanks!