eclipse startup problem

Joseph M. Newcomer

I just started using Eclipse. Very quickly I hit a problem. I started what I thought was a
new project, but it ended up in a workspace that I thought I was no longer using. So I
selected the old (toy test) project in the workspace browser and deleted it. I got a
question about whether I wanted to delete the entire project or just delete it from the
workspace, so I selected the option to delete from the workspace only. I then got a splash
screen and Eclipse hung. I have logged out and back in, and Eclipse still can't proceed
beyond the splash screen, where it hangs.

If this is not the right group to post this question, please point me at the right one. I
searched for any newsgroup with 'eclipse' in it and had no luck.
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: (e-mail address removed)
Web: http://www.flounder.com

Roland

I just started using Eclipse. Very quickly I hit a problem. I started what I thought was a
new project, but it ended up in a workspace that I thought I was no longer using. So I
selected the old (toy test) project in the workspace browser and deleted it. I got a
question about whether I wanted to delete the entire project or just delete it from the
workspace, so I selected the option to delete from the workspace only. I then got a splash
screen and Eclipse hung. I have logged out and back in, and Eclipse still can't proceed
beyond the splash screen, where it hangs.

If this is not the right group to post this question, please point me at the right one. I
searched for any newsgroup with 'eclipse' in it and had no luck.
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: (e-mail address removed)
Web: http://www.flounder.com

Eclipse has its own news server: news.eclipse.org (with various
newsgroups including eclipse.newcomer ;-)
You need an account to be able to access it. This can be acquired at
<http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/index.html>, link "Request Password".

You could try and start Eclipse with the -data option. This allows you
to specify the location of the workspace, rather than using the default
location, which is in the Eclipse installation directory (for 3.0.1).
Assuming that you are using Windows, start Eclipse like
eclipse.exe -data "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\eclipse-ws"
If the directory eclipse-ws does not exist, Eclipse will create it.
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Tilman Bohn

In message <[email protected]>,
Roland wrote on Wed, 02 Mar 2005 09:57:58 +0100:

[...]
Eclipse has its own news server: news.eclipse.org (with various
newsgroups including eclipse.newcomer ;-)
You need an account to be able to access it. This can be acquired at
<http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/index.html>, link "Request Password".
[...]

Just to add another alternative: Eclipse questions are also on-topic
in and regularly asked (and answered) on clj.softwaretools. I haven't
had need for the eclipse-specific ones (and couldn't be bothered to get
an account), so I can't comment on potential differences between them
and cljs.

Joseph M. Newcomer

Thanks. Unfortunately, -data (specifying a nonexistent directory) didn't work; it still
hangs. I did find the eclipse server ["We don't need to conform to anyone else's
standards, such as public newsgroups, we're ECLIPSE! We have to reinvent the wheel!"
Sigh.] My post there hasn't generated any response yet.
joe

Eclipse has its own news server: news.eclipse.org (with various
newsgroups including eclipse.newcomer ;-)
You need an account to be able to access it. This can be acquired at
<http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/index.html>, link "Request Password".

You could try and start Eclipse with the -data option. This allows you
to specify the location of the workspace, rather than using the default
location, which is in the Eclipse installation directory (for 3.0.1).
Assuming that you are using Windows, start Eclipse like
eclipse.exe -data "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\eclipse-ws"
If the directory eclipse-ws does not exist, Eclipse will create it.

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: (e-mail address removed)
Web: http://www.flounder.com

Roland

I can't find "clj.softwaretools" anywhere...
joe
Try comp.lang.java.softwaretools
Often the first words of a newsgroup name are abbreviated in written or
spoken communication. So comp.lang.java.softwaretools becomes
c.l.j.softwaretools or even clj.softwaretools
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Roland

I have posted detailed information there, but have gotten no response. So it proves my
original hypothesis: I don't use free open-source software because I cannot afford it.
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: (e-mail address removed)
Web: http://www.flounder.com

In c.l.j.softwaretools I suggested to post the problem (incl. the thread
dump) in eclipse.platform on the Eclipse newsserver. Have you had any
response in that newsgroup?
--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter