eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists

Discussion in 'Java' started by marlow.andrew@googlemail.com, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
    set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
    have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
    anyone suggest where I should start please?

    -Andrew Marlow
     
    , Nov 6, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lew Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
    > set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
    > have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
    > anyone suggest where I should start please?


    Menu: File / Import...

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Nov 6, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hello,

    >
    > > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
    > > set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
    > > have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
    > > anyone suggest where I should start please?

    >
    > Menu: File / Import...
    >
    > --
    > Lew


    I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
    it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
    that svn created.
     
    , Nov 6, 2008
    #3
  4. Guest

    On 6 Nov, 16:03, wrote:
    > On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > > > Hello,

    >
    > > > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
    > > > set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
    > > > have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
    > > > anyone suggest where I should start please?

    >
    > > Menu: File / Import...

    >
    > > --
    > > Lew

    >
    > I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
    > it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
    > that svn created.


    I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
    throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
    through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
    way.
     
    , Nov 6, 2008
    #4
  5. Wojtek Guest

    wrote :
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
    > set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
    > have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
    > anyone suggest where I should start please?


    go to http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/ and sign up, then ask the
    question in the Eclipse forums

    --
    Wojtek :)
     
    Wojtek, Nov 6, 2008
    #5
  6. Lew Guest

    On Nov 6, 11:16 am, wrote:
    > On 6 Nov, 16:03, wrote:
    >

    wrote:
    >>>> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
    >>>> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
    >>>> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
    >>>> anyone suggest where I should start please?



    Lew wrote:
    >>> Menu: File / Import...



    wrote:
    >> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
    >> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
    >> that svn created.


    I should think you would want that stuff.

    Doesn't Eclipse integrate with SVN?

    > I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
    > throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
    > through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
    > way.


    Isn't deselecting them just a matter of unchecking some directory-
    selection checkboxes?

    If you don't import the SVN directories, you will have trouble staying
    synched with the repository, won't you?

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Nov 6, 2008
    #6
  7. In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On 6 Nov, 16:03, wrote:
    > > On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > wrote:
    > > > > Hello,

    > >
    > > > > I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I
    > > > > need to set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All
    > > > > tht tutorials I have seen so far assume the project is empty,
    > > > > i.e does not exist. Can anyone suggest where I should start
    > > > > please?

    > >
    > > > Menu: File / Import...

    > >
    > > I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried
    > > that it will not do the right thing because the directory contains
    > > stuff that svn created.

    >
    > I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
    > throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
    > through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
    > way.


    Have you installed Subclipse? <http://subclipse.tigris.org/>

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/
     
    John B. Matthews, Nov 6, 2008
    #7
  8. Tom Anderson Guest

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, wrote:

    > On 6 Nov, 16:03, wrote:
    >> On 6 Nov, 15:14, Lew <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
    >>>> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
    >>>> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
    >>>> anyone suggest where I should start please?
    >>>
    >>> Menu: File / Import...

    >>
    >> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
    >> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
    >> that svn created.

    >
    > I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
    > throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
    > through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
    > way.


    One option would be to make a copy of the project's tree, then
    automatically delete all the SVN stuff - something like (from the project
    root directory):

    find -print0 . -type d -name .svn | xargs -0 rm -rf

    If you're using windows rather than unix, you'll need to unstall the
    coreutils and findutils packages from GnuWin32 first:

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

    There may be a similar way to do this operation using windows's own
    command-line tools, but i don't know those well enough to say.

    You can use a similar command line to purge any other files you don't want
    imported.

    Another, and probably better, option would be to install Subclipse and
    check the project out into Eclipse directly from the svn repository. If
    you don't want to continue working with the repository, you can then
    disconnect the project from it - something like Team > Disconnect, i
    think.

    tom

    --
    Thinking about it, history begins now -- sarah
     
    Tom Anderson, Nov 6, 2008
    #8
  9. Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 6, 2008
    #9
  10. Lew Guest

    Tom Anderson wrote:
    > One option would be to make a copy of the project's tree, then
    > automatically delete all the SVN stuff - something like (from the project
    > root directory):
    >
    > find -print0 . -type d -name .svn | xargs -0 rm -rf
    >
    > If you're using windows rather than unix, you'll need to unstall the
    > coreutils and findutils packages from GnuWin32 first:


    Or the Cygwin utilities, which give an entire bash (or other) shell
    and related UNIX-like environment to Windows:

    <http://cygwin.com/>

    --
    Lew
     
    Lew, Nov 6, 2008
    #10
  11. Guest

    On 6 Nov, 17:14, Lew <> wrote:
    > On Nov 6, 11:16 am, wrote:
    >
    > > On 6 Nov, 16:03, wrote:

    >
    > wrote:
    > >>>> I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
    > >>>> set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
    > >>>> have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
    > >>>> anyone suggest where I should start please?

    > Lew wrote:
    > >>> Menu: File / Import...

    > wrote:
    > >> I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
    > >> it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
    > >> that svn created.

    >
    > I should think you would want that stuff.
    >
    > Doesn't Eclipse integrate with SVN?
    >
    > > I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
    > > throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
    > > through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
    > > way.

    >
    > Isn't deselecting them just a matter of unchecking some directory-
    > selection checkboxes?
    >
    > If you don't import the SVN directories, you will have trouble staying
    > synched with the repository, won't you?


    No, you won't. Eclipse knows about SVN and has a separate perspective
    for that. From the java perspective you say 'team->update' to update
    your workspace wrt to the SVN that has been specified in the SVN
    perspective. This enables eclipse to have a java perspective in which
    the directories that the source code control system uses internally do
    not take part in the eclipse-java development. And quite right too,
    IMHO.

    -Andrew
     
    , Nov 7, 2008
    #11
  12. Guest

    On 6 Nov, 17:22, "John B. Matthews" <> wrote:

    > Have you installed Subclipse? <http://subclipse.tigris.org/>


    Yes.

    > --
    > John B. Matthews
    > trashgod at gmail dot comhttp://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/
     
    , Nov 7, 2008
    #12
  13. In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On 6 Nov, 17:22, "John B. Matthews" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Have you installed Subclipse? <http://subclipse.tigris.org/>

    >
    > Yes.


    I just tried Import > Other > Checkout Projects from SVN > Use existing
    repository location. I aimed it at a NetBeans project in my subversion
    repository. Eclipse offered me a choice to check it out directly or use
    the New Project Wizard. I chose the latter, built and ran. Right-click-
    project > Team > Show History looked right.

    Is your project's repository not accessible?

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/
     
    John B. Matthews, Nov 7, 2008
    #13
  14. Guest

    On 7 Nov, 15:11, "John B. Matthews" <> wrote:

    > I just tried Import > Other > Checkout Projects from SVN > Use existing
    > repository location. I aimed it at a NetBeans project in my subversion
    > repository. Eclipse offered me a choice to check it out directly or use
    > the New Project Wizard. I chose the latter, built and ran. Right-click-
    > project > Team > Show History looked right.
    >
    > Is your project's repository not accessible?


    I screwed up. I accidently told eclipse to use an SVN sandbox of mine
    as the workspace directory. Doh!
     
    , Nov 11, 2008
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Chad Crowder
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    21,581
    hemant.yadav
    Oct 24, 2009
  2. Alvin Bruney [MVP]

    Re: Class already exists ... help please!!

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Apr 6, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,520
    Alvin Bruney [MVP]
    Apr 6, 2004
  3. George
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    6,216
    Jamie
    Feb 25, 2005
  4. Alan Silver
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    412
    Alan Silver
    Sep 29, 2005
  5. Thorsten Meininger
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    463
    Sudsy
    Oct 13, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page