    this is ineffecient as compared to using output parameters for single record
    selection.

    thanks.
    Phil, Jan 23, 2006

  2. No, it's probably more efficient to return back a single record than having
    to keep track of multiple output parameters from a stored procedure.
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Sorry, I was using "effeciency" to describe the resources used on the server
    and/or client. Using output parameters to return a single record has be the
    norm since vb 6.0/ASP 1.0/SQL Server 6.5 when ADO was first introduced
    (perhaps before, but that is when I became aware of it). It means less
    resources are used by the server building a "record/data set object" to pass
    back to the client, and less resources are used on the client maintaining
    this object. Using output parameters is always faster and uses less overhead
    than executing and return a full result set.

    For the developer, imho, coding to output parameters is not much more work
    than coding to a result set object (ie dataset/datareader), but perhaps
    that's just been the case in my scenarios and yours have been different.

    At any rate, thanks for the reply. Perhaps this is a question that can be
    reposted in the correct forum if it needs further investigation, as I'm still
    needing an answer to my databinding question.

    Thanks,
    Phil

    Phil, Jan 24, 2006