    (Example: Click here for a sample donation letter)

    Thanks,
    Robert
    SlowRyde, Apr 17, 2004

  2. SlowRyde wrote:
    > When providing a text document that users can modify to their own needs,
    > what is the best cross-compatable format to use, ie - txt, doc, rtf, etc.?

    Sounds like you'd want RTF. I wouldn't provide DOC since I don't like
    MS, but you could include that as well. Please have other options
    besides DOC, though.
    --
    Michael Wilcox, http://mikewilcox.t35.com/
    Michael Wilcox, Apr 17, 2004

  3. SlowRyde wrote:

    > When providing a text document that users can modify to their own needs,
    > what is the best cross-compatable format to use, ie - txt, doc, rtf, etc.?

    Use HTML, but serve it up with a ".doc" extension and an
    "application/octet-stream" MIME type. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Apr 17, 2004
  4. SlowRyde

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Michael Wilcox" <> wrote in message
    > SlowRyde wrote:
    > > When providing a text document that users can modify to their own needs,
    > > what is the best cross-compatable format to use, ie - txt, doc, rtf,

    etc.?

    > Sounds like you'd want RTF. I wouldn't provide DOC since I don't like
    > MS, but you could include that as well. Please have other options
    > besides DOC, though.
    > --
    > Michael Wilcox, http://mikewilcox.t35.com/

    Well .DOC is actually an XML document... so it's much more suited for online
    (even if it's as bloated as a... well, something really bloated).
    SpaceGirl, Apr 17, 2004
  5. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Well .DOC is actually an XML document... so it's much more suited for
    > online

    XML != Automatically suited for use online

    While it might be easy to parse an XML file, it doesn't do much good if the
    meaning of the elements is poorly defined.

    Nor is it so great when binary data is mixed into it (as I have heard Word
    does).

    Also, only the latest version of .doc uses XML for its data storage.

    David Dorward, Apr 17, 2004
  6. SlowRyde

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > SpaceGirl wrote:
    >
    > > Well .DOC is actually an XML document... so it's much more suited for
    > > online

    > XML != Automatically suited for use online
    >
    > While it might be easy to parse an XML file, it doesn't do much good if

    the
    > meaning of the elements is poorly defined.
    >
    > Nor is it so great when binary data is mixed into it (as I have heard Word
    > does).
    >
    > Also, only the latest version of .doc uses XML for its data storage.

    I meant purely from a conversion point of view... You can choose "file >
    save as..." XML under Office XP. Office 2003 natively saves in a weird MS
    XML hybrid, but again you can tell it to save in a more pure format, or MS
    HTML (with about a billion stupid styles and proprietry mark-up...
    grrrrrrrrrrr) or 'plain' HTML.
    SpaceGirl, Apr 17, 2004
    Xavier Perseguers, Apr 17, 2004
  8. Am Sat, 17 Apr 2004 08:39:24 -0500 schrieb SlowRyde:

    > When providing a text document that users can modify to their own needs,
    > what is the best cross-compatable format to use, ie - txt, doc, rtf,
    > etc.?
    >
    > (Example: Click here for a sample donation letter)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Robert

    Depends on who your users are and what they want to / shall do with your
    document. I can read all the aforementioned formats on my computer.
    Complex files created with M$ Word might look different in OpenOffice, but
    as long as I can get the content and really want it, I will find a way to
    convert the stuff to plain text or something. But I would have to be
    really keen on the info to go through such hassle.

    If I shall reuse the information my prefered source format would be XML
    (best if you'd use a dtd/schema I already use and have xslt stylesheets
    for), my second choice would be plain text (using an ISO standard encoding
    or Unicode).

    regards
    David
    David Christopher Weichert, Apr 17, 2004