Editing the Policy File.

Steve Burrus

I have been told not to be trying to edit the java policy file
until/unless I could develop more profiency in the Java Programming
language than what I had "under my belt" a the time! Well, that was a
few years back, I am much more confident in my Java skills now, so I
would like to know how to edit this file, mainly to be able to see a
swing applet in my web browser without getting the old
"AccessControlException" Java exception!! I would be grateful to anyone
who can help me.

Dave Miller

burrus1 said:
I have been told not to be trying to edit the java policy file
until/unless I could develop more profiency in the Java Programming
language than what I had "under my belt" a the time! Well, that was a
few years back, I am much more confident in my Java skills now, so I
would like to know how to edit this file, mainly to be able to see a
swing applet in my web browser without getting the old
"AccessControlException" Java exception!! I would be grateful to anyone
who can help me.
Use policytool. Information here:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/tooldocs/windows/policytool.html

Steve Burrus

Dave said:

Yes Dave, I have certainly tried to used that Java policy tool before,
but I don't personally know how the experience of using that tool has
been for you, but for me it's been a little bit less than intuitive to
use!!! Can you please give me some quick tips on how it should be used
to get everything in a swing applet to be executed in the browser??!!

Roedy Green

Dave, I don't know if you have possibly forgotten about my particular
thread in the "comp.lang.java.programmer" newsgroup now or not, but I am
still awaiting an answer from you re. just how do I use the Java policy
tool in an effective way!!!

Read http://mindprod.com/jgloss/policyfile.html
and http://mindprod.com/jgloss/policytool.html

Then generate some test policy files, not the real one, and look at
the code you generate. Experiment and read till you understand what
it does. Then you can try building your real policy file.

Maybe someone could set a little net business or an amanuensis to
generate policy files for people.