editor for editing xml text nodes

Alois Zreindl

We have xml documents which contain text imbedded as text content in
some xml structures.

These documents need to be translated by human translators from English
into, for example, Chinese.

We would like the translator to use an editor which shows him only the
text content of the xml document, or gives him only editing access to
the text content.

The translator should be unable to touch or modify the xml tags, so that
it is guaranteed that the xml-tags are unchanged when the translator
returns the translated document.

The translator simply replaces all English text accessible to him into
Chinese text.

Does anyone know an xml editing tool which has this feature, of allowing
only modification to the text node content?

Peter Flynn

Alois said:
We have xml documents which contain text imbedded as text content in
some xml structures.

These documents need to be translated by human translators from English
into, for example, Chinese.

We would like the translator to use an editor which shows him only the
text content of the xml document, or gives him only editing access to
the text content.

I am working on exactly this right now. It leaves the elements in
element content inviolable, but allows element markup in mixed content
(the only thing a translator should be touching).

Please contact me by email to discuss this further.
The translator should be unable to touch or modify the xml tags, so that
it is guaranteed that the xml-tags are unchanged when the translator
returns the translated document.

The translator simply replaces all English text accessible to him into
Chinese text.

Does anyone know an xml editing tool which has this feature, of allowing
only modification to the text node content?

The only translation tool I came across was the CITEC Translation Editor
for SGML, which displayed the source in the top half of the screen and
the target in the bottom half, but it did allow changes to the
structure. It died before XML was born.

///Peter