Editor

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgen_Syvertsen?=

I've made a page for an other person that doesnt know html/css, and that
person wants to be abel to modify the text on the page, is there a
simple, ok, free WYSIWYG-webpage-editor out there that can be used?

Edwin van der Vaart

Jørgen Syvertsen said:
I've made a page for an other person that doesnt know html/css, and that
person wants to be abel to modify the text on the page, is there a
simple, ok, free WYSIWYG-webpage-editor out there that can be used?
There are lots of editors for diverent os's.
For a good start.
http://www.html-faq.com/editor/?wysiwyg

Andy Dingley

I've made a page for an other person that doesnt know html/css, and that
person wants to be abel to modify the text on the page,
is there a
simple, ok, free WYSIWYG-webpage-editor out there that can be used?

No. That will give them too much opportunity to break things, and they
will.

Your best route is to teach them absolutely minimal HTML and show them
the block in the middle of the page that can be hand-edited with a
simple text editor. They'll get the idea of <p> etc. easily enough and
your CSS can deal with the rest.

If they want layout, teach them about classes and set some more CSS up
for them.

Alternatively look at simple CMS like Mambo (and others) or even use a
very cut-down phpBB / blog if they're interested in posting a regular
"events diary" or something on multiple page.

Travis Newbury

Andy said:
No. That will give them too much opportunity to break things, and they
will.

Teaching them was of part of the question. OP, see the FAQ for a list
of editors they can use.

dorayme

From: Andy Dingley said:
No. That will give them too much opportunity to break things, and they
will.

Your best route is to teach them absolutely minimal HTML and show them
the block in the middle of the page that can be hand-edited with a
simple text editor. They'll get the idea of <p> etc. easily enough and
your CSS can deal with the rest.

If they want layout, teach them about classes and set some more CSS up
for them.

Alternatively look at simple CMS like Mambo (and others) or even use a
very cut-down phpBB / blog if they're interested in posting a regular
"events diary" or something on multiple page.

Have you any links to where one can easily get a cut down blog? Or must one
do one's own cutting? Please.

dorayme

dorayme

From: "Dominic Myers said:
Try Rodin at http://rodin.lot23.com/. It's lovely

thank you, it look nice and small, am having issues installing but will keep
trying (you know anything about installing?, but don't worry, I am
investigating...). I have previously been trying out WordPress and it is
very nice but not so simple to master: I want to be able to get away from
its "you don't have to know any html or css or php" control system (I know
it sounds unfair, but it reminds me of dreamweaver which i am not fond of!).
I may have to lean a bit of php but I am not frightened of the html or css
and somehow dislike "easy control" systems - truth is that I just don't find
them that easy to use or understand!

dorayme

Dominic Myers

message
thank you, it look nice and small, am having
issues installing but will keep
trying (you know anything about installing?, but
don't worry, I am
investigating...). I have previously been trying
out WordPress and it is
very nice but not so simple to master: I want to
be able to get away from
its "you don't have to know any html or css or
php" control system (I know
it sounds unfair, but it reminds me of
dreamweaver which i am not fond of!).
I may have to lean a bit of php but I am not
frightened of the html or css
and somehow dislike "easy control" systems -
truth is that I just don't find
them that easy to use or understand!

dorayme

It's really very cool and hackable and not such a
pain to install really. I've messed about with it
a lot and the result is here:
http://camshag.co.uk/art_architecture/. If you
have any more problems do let me know if I can
help. You can combine it with widgEditor
(http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/widgEditor/)
to make it even easier to post with and make RSS
feeds with the Toys available from the Rodin site
(http://rodin.lot23.com/toys/rssfeed.php).
Cheers, Dom

Andy Dingley

Have you any links to where one can easily get a cut down blog? Or must one
do one's own cutting?

Do you own cutting.

What you need is a conveniently handy unix box, preferably under your
own desk. Then install Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpBB on it. Turn off the
config options (quite easy) until you get a topic where only the admins
can post, and no comments are allowed. Then play with the formatting to
make it look nice.

dorayme

From: Andy Dingley said:
Do you own cutting.

What you need is a conveniently handy unix box, preferably under your
own desk. Then install Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpBB on it. Turn off the
config options (quite easy) until you get a topic where only the admins
can post, and no comments are allowed. Then play with the formatting to
make it look nice.

I like this idea. Will keep it in mind. No handy Unix boxes around here but
a few macs lying about doing nothing, wonder if they can be pressed into
useful service (none OS X).

dorayme