  1. I've made a page for an other person that doesnt know html/css, and that
    person wants to be abel to modify the text on the page, is there a
    simple, ok, free WYSIWYG-webpage-editor out there that can be used?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgen_Syvertsen?=, May 6, 2005

  2. Jørgen Syvertsen wrote:
    > I've made a page for an other person that doesnt know html/css, and that
    > person wants to be abel to modify the text on the page, is there a
    > simple, ok, free WYSIWYG-webpage-editor out there that can be used?

    There are lots of editors for diverent os's.
    For a good start.
    http://www.html-faq.com/editor/?wysiwyg
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, May 6, 2005

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgen_Syvertsen?=

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 06 May 2005 17:10:47 +0200, Jørgen Syvertsen <>
    wrote:

    >I've made a page for an other person that doesnt know html/css, and that
    >person wants to be abel to modify the text on the page,

    >is there a
    >simple, ok, free WYSIWYG-webpage-editor out there that can be used?

    No. That will give them too much opportunity to break things, and they
    will.

    Your best route is to teach them absolutely minimal HTML and show them
    the block in the middle of the page that can be hand-edited with a
    simple text editor. They'll get the idea of <p> etc. easily enough and
    your CSS can deal with the rest.

    If they want layout, teach them about classes and set some more CSS up
    for them.

    Alternatively look at simple CMS like Mambo (and others) or even use a
    very cut-down phpBB / blog if they're interested in posting a regular
    "events diary" or something on multiple page.

    Andy Dingley, May 6, 2005
  4. Andy Dingley wrote:

    > No. That will give them too much opportunity to break things, and they
    > will.

    Teaching them was of part of the question. OP, see the FAQ for a list
    of editors they can use.
    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 6, 2005
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgen_Syvertsen?=

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Andy Dingley <>

    > On Fri, 06 May 2005 17:10:47 +0200, Jørgen Syvertsen <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've made a page for an other person that doesnt know html/css, and that
    >> person wants to be abel to modify the text on the page,

    >> is there a
    >> simple, ok, free WYSIWYG-webpage-editor out there that can be used?

    > No. That will give them too much opportunity to break things, and they
    > will.
    >
    > Your best route is to teach them absolutely minimal HTML and show them
    > the block in the middle of the page that can be hand-edited with a
    > simple text editor. They'll get the idea of <p> etc. easily enough and
    > your CSS can deal with the rest.
    >
    > If they want layout, teach them about classes and set some more CSS up
    > for them.
    >
    > Alternatively look at simple CMS like Mambo (and others) or even use a
    > very cut-down phpBB / blog if they're interested in posting a regular
    > "events diary" or something on multiple page.

    Have you any links to where one can easily get a cut down blog? Or must one
    do one's own cutting? Please.

    dorayme

    dorayme, May 6, 2005
  6. "dorayme" <> wrote in
    message

    Try Rodin at http://rodin.lot23.com/. It's lovely

    Dominic Myers, May 7, 2005
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgen_Syvertsen?=

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Dominic Myers" <>

    >>> Alternatively look at simple CMS like Mambo
    >>> (and others) or even use a
    >>> very cut-down phpBB / blog if they're
    >>> interested in posting a regular
    >>> "events diary" or something on multiple page.

    >> Have you any links to where one can easily get a
    >> cut down blog? Or must one
    >> do one's own cutting? Please.
    >>
    >> dorayme
    >>

    > Try Rodin at http://rodin.lot23.com/. It's lovely

    thank you, it look nice and small, am having issues installing but will keep
    trying (you know anything about installing?, but don't worry, I am
    investigating...). I have previously been trying out WordPress and it is
    very nice but not so simple to master: I want to be able to get away from
    its "you don't have to know any html or css or php" control system (I know
    it sounds unfair, but it reminds me of dreamweaver which i am not fond of!).
    I may have to lean a bit of php but I am not frightened of the html or css
    and somehow dislike "easy control" systems - truth is that I just don't find
    them that easy to use or understand!

    dorayme

    dorayme, May 7, 2005
  8. "dorayme" <> wrote in
    message
    >> From: "Dominic Myers" <>

    >>> Have you any links to where one can easily get
    >>> cut down blog? Or must one
    >>> do one's own cutting? Please.
    >>>
    >>> dorayme
    >>>

    >> Try Rodin at http://rodin.lot23.com/. It's
    >> lovely

    > thank you, it look nice and small, am having
    > issues installing but will keep
    > trying (you know anything about installing?, but
    > don't worry, I am
    > investigating...). I have previously been trying
    > out WordPress and it is
    > very nice but not so simple to master: I want to
    > be able to get away from
    > its "you don't have to know any html or css or
    > php" control system (I know
    > it sounds unfair, but it reminds me of
    > dreamweaver which i am not fond of!).
    > I may have to lean a bit of php but I am not
    > frightened of the html or css
    > and somehow dislike "easy control" systems -
    > truth is that I just don't find
    > them that easy to use or understand!
    >
    > dorayme

    It's really very cool and hackable and not such a
    pain to install really. I've messed about with it
    a lot and the result is here:
    http://camshag.co.uk/art_architecture/. If you
    have any more problems do let me know if I can
    help. You can combine it with widgEditor
    (http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/widgEditor/)
    to make it even easier to post with and make RSS
    feeds with the Toys available from the Rodin site
    (http://rodin.lot23.com/toys/rssfeed.php).
    Cheers, Dom

    Dominic Myers, May 7, 2005
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgen_Syvertsen?=

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 09:55:28 +1100, dorayme <>
    wrote:

    >Have you any links to where one can easily get a cut down blog? Or must one
    >do one's own cutting?

    Do you own cutting.

    What you need is a conveniently handy unix box, preferably under your
    own desk. Then install Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpBB on it. Turn off the
    config options (quite easy) until you get a topic where only the admins
    can post, and no comments are allowed. Then play with the formatting to
    make it look nice.

    Andy Dingley, May 7, 2005
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgen_Syvertsen?=

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Andy Dingley <>

    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 09:55:28 +1100, dorayme <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Have you any links to where one can easily get a cut down blog? Or must one
    >> do one's own cutting?

    > Do you own cutting.
    >
    > What you need is a conveniently handy unix box, preferably under your
    > own desk. Then install Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpBB on it. Turn off the
    > config options (quite easy) until you get a topic where only the admins
    > can post, and no comments are allowed. Then play with the formatting to
    > make it look nice.

    I like this idea. Will keep it in mind. No handy Unix boxes around here but
    a few macs lying about doing nothing, wonder if they can be pressed into
    useful service (none OS X).

    dorayme

    dorayme, May 8, 2005