    there two executables that run and communicate back and forth, or is
    there only one executable? Is there a Perl interpreter that reads in
    scripts into your main program?

    Aaron, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Aaron

    Sara Guest

    (Aaron) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I read that scripting is very useful in software engineering. I
    > picked up some video game programming books and they mention that
    > scripting can be used to seperate the code that is likely to change
    > from the core game engine.
    >
    > I have heard that Perl is widely used in the game programming
    > industry. Can perl scripting used for this? If not, what is it used
    > for? If it is used for this, how does Perl communicate with the main
    > game engine? Can some one explain how this works? For example: are
    > there two executables that run and communicate back and forth, or is
    > there only one executable? Is there a Perl interpreter that reads in
    > scripts into your main program?

    Listen dude I'm not one to say "read the FQA" or "don't post there
    here" because basically I believe in Free Speech, and there are more
    than enough of those parrots here, but in your case I have to make an
    exception. Try

    http://www.perl.com

    for starters. There are lots of Perl stories and anecdotal uses for
    perl. perl.org/advocacy is usually pretty good too but it appears to
    have either been hacked or some jolly joker is pranking us right now
    over there.

    Your question is sort of like writing to General Motors and saying
    "I've heard these cars of yours are useful for driving to the grocery
    store. What other uses do they have?". Sort of a tough question to
    really answer isn't it?

    Happy Holodaze!

    Sara, Dec 24, 2003

  3. On 23 Dec 2003 23:08:14 -0800
    (Aaron) wrote:

    > I read that scripting is very useful in software engineering. I
    > picked up some video game programming books and they mention that
    > scripting can be used to seperate the code that is likely to change
    > from the core game engine.
    >
    > I have heard that Perl is widely used in the game programming
    > industry. Can perl scripting used for this? If not, what is it used
    > for? If it is used for this, how does Perl communicate with the
    > main game engine? Can some one explain how this works? For example:
    > are there two executables that run and communicate back and forth,
    > or is there only one executable? Is there a Perl interpreter that
    > reads in scripts into your main program?

    What *exactly* are you looking to do? Are you just trying to get a
    feel for the capabilities of Perl? If that's the case, go to
    http://www.perl.com/ and start reading :)

    You *may* want to read perlembed (if you have Perl installed, then
    just type 'perldoc perlembed' at the command line to get this document
    - if not, visit http://perldoc.com). This may be what you're after.
    It's a way to embed Perl code in your C application - if I understand
    your post. This also *assumes* that you know C :) You could also
    check out SWIG (http://www.swig.org/), which will also allow you to
    "connect" Perl code with a C/C++ application.

    If this isn't anything you're looking for, post with more specifics
    :)

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.

    James Willmore, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Aaron

    Aaron Guest

    James Willmore <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 23 Dec 2003 23:08:14 -0800
    > (Aaron) wrote:
    >
    > > I read that scripting is very useful in software engineering. I
    > > picked up some video game programming books and they mention that
    > > scripting can be used to seperate the code that is likely to change
    > > from the core game engine.
    > >
    > > I have heard that Perl is widely used in the game programming
    > > industry. Can perl scripting used for this? If not, what is it used
    > > for? If it is used for this, how does Perl communicate with the
    > > main game engine? Can some one explain how this works? For example:
    > > are there two executables that run and communicate back and forth,
    > > or is there only one executable? Is there a Perl interpreter that
    > > reads in scripts into your main program?

    > What *exactly* are you looking to do? Are you just trying to get a
    > feel for the capabilities of Perl? If that's the case, go to
    > http://www.perl.com/ and start reading :)
    >
    > You *may* want to read perlembed (if you have Perl installed, then
    > just type 'perldoc perlembed' at the command line to get this document
    > - if not, visit http://perldoc.com). This may be what you're after.
    > It's a way to embed Perl code in your C application - if I understand
    > your post. This also *assumes* that you know C :) You could also
    > check out SWIG (http://www.swig.org/), which will also allow you to
    > "connect" Perl code with a C/C++ application.
    >
    > If this isn't anything you're looking for, post with more specifics
    > :)
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > Jim
    >
    > Copyright notice: all code written by the author in this post is
    > released under the GPL. http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
    > for more information.
    >
    > a fortune quote ...
    > Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword.

    Thanks man, the swig documentation is very helpful. I guess my post
    wasn't really descriptive of what I needed. I am looking to connect
    Perl to C++. I talked to someone who programs for a gaming company
    and he told me, "It's good to know perl scripting." I've been going
    from book and website to website looking for appropriate uses of perl
    in the game coding buisness. I haven't really come across anything
    that relates to perl. The closest thing I found was a description of
    how scripting, in general, can be useful. It read, for example, if
    you want to change a bitmap in the game, instead of having a
    programmer go in and change the name of the bmp file in the code, you
    can have a script do this and save the programmer some time. It's an
    effective way to seperate code that changes alot from the complicated
    logic that makes up the game engine. It also modularizes the code.
    Then I found an example of a very basic scripting engine that
    implements a few functions of 80x86 assembly language (along with some
    functions that imported other functions written in the main game
    engine) and uses it to program a "Ponglike" game. The example went
    from the design of the scripting language to the implementation of a
    compiler for the scripting language. My original question was, "can a
    perl script be used to write code that works like this engine?" I
    know it is a fundamental question.
    I read some on the swig and I'm going to go browsing through some
    stuff on www.perl.com. As soon as I get to my home computer I will
    check out the perlembed. Thank you very much for responding to my
    message!
    Aaron

    Aaron, Dec 26, 2003