Effective Jave

Philipp

Hello,
Following the advice of Lew and others I have read Effective Java by J.
Bloch. I think this is the best Java book I have ever read. Pragmatic,
straight to the point best practices for Java with clear and *short*
explanations and real-world examples. It fitted my knowledge level
perfectly. Also it made some design patterns which were unclear in my
head, straightforward.

Can anybody recommend other good books of the same style? Ie. best
practices to build reusable code with modern java examples?

Thanks Phil

Joe Attardi

Philipp said:
Hello,
Following the advice of Lew and others I have read Effective Java by J.
Bloch. I think this is the best Java book I have ever read. Pragmatic,
straight to the point best practices for Java with clear and *short*
explanations and real-world examples. It fitted my knowledge level
perfectly. Also it made some design patterns which were unclear in my
head, straightforward.

Can anybody recommend other good books of the same style? Ie. best
practices to build reusable code with modern java examples?

While they aren't Java specific books, two books I highly recommend are:

(1) The Pragmatic Programmer, by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas
(2) Code Complete, by Steve McConnell

Daniel Dyer

Hello,
Following the advice of Lew and others I have read Effective Java by J.
Bloch. I think this is the best Java book I have ever read. Pragmatic,
straight to the point best practices for Java with clear and *short*
explanations and real-world examples. It fitted my knowledge level
perfectly. Also it made some design patterns which were unclear in my
head, straightforward.

I agree. I don't believe that a better, more useful Java book has been
published.
Can anybody recommend other good books of the same style? Ie. best
practices to build reusable code with modern java examples?

You might also be interested in "Java Puzzlers" by Josh Bloch and Neal
Gafter. It's presented in a different way but it's full of the same kind
of insights. It's also more up-to-date in that it covers Java 5 as well.

Dan.