efficient HTTP upload to servlet from applet?

Discussion in 'Java' started by bugbear, Oct 7, 2004.

  1. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    For reasons that my company deems good, we need
    to upload data (quite a lot of data, upto 100 Mb at
    a time) from a client web browser to a server.

    In order to prevent the user from having
    to do lots of file browsing, we're using an applet
    to select and transmit the data, to a corresponding
    servlet on the (tomcat) server.

    But...

    it appears that the applet sending data
    via java.net.HttpURLConnection is rather slow.
    Further, these people (albeit with a clear
    axe to grind) state that:

    >> The Sun implemention records both the request data and response data into a byte array

    http://www.nogoop.com/product_16.html

    Which ain't good.

    Reading between the lines, it appears that Sun's implementation
    was intended to be fairly good at downloading resources for
    the Applet to use (e.g. Gifs) and the rest of the functionality
    is quite basic.

    Just to make joy complete, we need the Applet to
    work on MacOs9, which means JDK1.1.8 (AKA MRJ2.2.6)

    Does anyone have any magic for me, that will allow
    uploads at decent (i.e. close to connection speed)
    rates?

    BugBear
    bugbear, Oct 7, 2004