efficient HTTP upload to servlet from applet?

bugbear

For reasons that my company deems good, we need
to upload data (quite a lot of data, upto 100 Mb at
a time) from a client web browser to a server.

In order to prevent the user from having
to do lots of file browsing, we're using an applet
to select and transmit the data, to a corresponding
servlet on the (tomcat) server.

But...

it appears that the applet sending data
via java.net.HttpURLConnection is rather slow.
Further, these people (albeit with a clear
axe to grind) state that:
http://www.nogoop.com/product_16.html

Which ain't good.

Reading between the lines, it appears that Sun's implementation
was intended to be fairly good at downloading resources for
the Applet to use (e.g. Gifs) and the rest of the functionality
is quite basic.

Just to make joy complete, we need the Applet to
work on MacOs9, which means JDK1.1.8 (AKA MRJ2.2.6)

Does anyone have any magic for me, that will allow
uploads at decent (i.e. close to connection speed)
rates?

BugBear