    Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
    please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

    Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.
    Hadron, Aug 1, 2007

  2. Hadron

    Ben Finney Guest

    Hadron <> writes:

    > Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
    > please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

    The mode you're looking for is 'python-mode'. Turn it on (M-x
    python-mode), then read its help (C-h m) for all the cool things you
    can do.

    --
    \ "Our products just aren't engineered for security." -- Brian |
    `\ Valentine, senior vice-president of Microsoft Windows |
    Ben Finney, Aug 2, 2007

  3. > Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
    > please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

    Personally, I prefer the python.el that ships with Emacs 22 to the
    python-mode.el from python.org. It seems more like other Emacs major
    modes.

    Ted

    --
    Edward O'Connor

    Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
    Edward O'Connor, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Hadron

    hg Guest

    Edward O'Connor wrote:

    >> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
    >> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

    > Personally, I prefer the python.el that ships with Emacs 22 to the
    > python-mode.el from python.org. It seems more like other Emacs major
    > modes.
    >

    > Ted
    >
    > --
    > Edward O'Connor
    >

    > Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

    Are there any cscope & ECB equivalent for Python ?

    Thanks

    hg
    hg, Aug 2, 2007
  5. Hadron

    Ben Finney Guest

    hg <> writes:

    > Are there any cscope & ECB equivalent for Python ?

    Can you describe these things, for those who don't have any experience
    of them but may know of an equivalent?

    --
    \ "With Lisp or Forth, a master programmer has unlimited power |
    `\ and expressiveness. With Python, even a regular guy can reach |
    Ben Finney, Aug 2, 2007
  6. hg a écrit :
    (snip)
    > Are there any cscope & ECB equivalent for Python ?

    ECB (assuming we're talking about the same thing, ie Emacs Code Browser)
    works just fine with Python.
    Bruno Desthuilliers, Aug 2, 2007
  7. Edward O'Connor a écrit :
    >> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
    >> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

    > Personally, I prefer the python.el that ships with Emacs 22 to the
    > python-mode.el from python.org. It seems more like other Emacs major
    > modes.

    Would you mind giving us a quick summary of the differences between
    these 2 modes ? As far as I'm concerned, I've been mostly happy with
    python-mode so far...

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Aug 2, 2007
  8. Hadron

    Hadron Guest

    Edward O'Connor <> writes:

    >> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
    >> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.

    > Personally, I prefer the python.el that ships with Emacs 22 to the
    > python-mode.el from python.org. It seems more like other Emacs major
    > modes.
    >

    > Ted

    Could you extrapolate a little more on what you see as the differences?

    I addition, I run pdb under emacs and the GUD menu appears but I cant
    set break points by clicking in the left column of the source
    display. Is there a way to get this working?
    Hadron, Aug 2, 2007
  9. Hadron

    Greg Donald Guest

    On 8/1/07, hg <> wrote:
    > Are there any cscope & ECB equivalent for Python ?

    ECB is not language specific. It works the same for browsing Python
    code as any other language.

    --
    Greg Donald
    http://destiney.com/
    Greg Donald, Aug 2, 2007
  10. Hadron

    hg Guest

    Greg Donald wrote:

    > On 8/1/07, hg <> wrote:
    >> Are there any cscope & ECB equivalent for Python ?

    > ECB is not language specific. It works the same for browsing Python
    > code as any other language.
    >

    > --
    > Greg Donald
    > http://destiney.com/

    Thanks, I realized my mistake soon after I posted ... how about a cscope
    equivalent ?

    hg
    hg, Aug 3, 2007
  11. Hadron

    Ben Finney Guest

    hg <> writes:

    > how about a cscope equivalent ?

    How about reading what was posted earlier in the thread, and give us a
    description of what you want instead of a name that people might not
    recognise?

    --
    \ "The judge asked, 'What do you plead?' I said, 'Insanity, your |
    `\ honour. Who in their right mind would park in the passing |
    Ben Finney, Aug 4, 2007
  12. Hadron

    hg Guest

    Ben Finney wrote:

    > hg <> writes:
    >
    >> how about a cscope equivalent ?

    > How about reading what was posted earlier in the thread, and give us a
    > description of what you want instead of a name that people might not
    > recognise?
    >
    > --
    > \ "The judge asked, 'What do you plead?' I said, 'Insanity, your |
    > `\ honour. Who in their right mind would park in the passing |
    > _o__) lane?'" -- Steven Wright |
    > Ben Finney

    Cscope allows for instance to find the definition of a symbol.

    hg
    hg, Aug 8, 2007