Email::MIME on Debian

Graham Drabble

Hi,

I've been developing on Windows using ActivePerl 5.10.0 and the
Email::MIME that is installed by ppm (which turns out to be 1.906).

For production the scripts will run on a Debian machine running perl
5.10.0. The sysadmin of that server loaded Email::MIME by installing
libemail-mime-creator-perl (+ dependencies). It appears that this has
installed Email::MIME version 1.861 which does not provide the body_str
method.

Am I safe to simly download 1.906 from CPAN and install using perl
Makefile.pl and then make or will that lead to me having two
incompatible versions around? If the latter what would be the
recommended path?

Peter J. Holzer

I've been developing on Windows using ActivePerl 5.10.0 and the
Email::MIME that is installed by ppm (which turns out to be 1.906).

For production the scripts will run on a Debian machine running perl
5.10.0. The sysadmin of that server loaded Email::MIME by installing
libemail-mime-creator-perl (+ dependencies). It appears that this has
installed Email::MIME version 1.861 which does not provide the body_str
method.

Am I safe to simly download 1.906 from CPAN and install using perl
Makefile.pl and then make or will that lead to me having two
incompatible versions around? If the latter what would be the
recommended path?

If you just use cpan to install Email::MIME, it will installed into a
separate path from the .deb. The cpan-installed package will be found
first, so that should be ok, unless some software depends on the old
behaviour.

The sysadmin will probably be happier if he gets an up-to-date debian
package instead of having a wild mixture of debian-installed and
cpan-installed packages, so you might want to take a look at
http://debian.pkgs.cpan.org/#doing_it_yourself (or refer your sysadmin
to it).

hp

PS: On Debian Squeeze, Email::MIME is at version 1.903, so updating to
Squeeze might be another option (it's still in testing but already
frozen).